We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne bholua - fast germination!  (Read 3313 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Daphne bholua - fast germination!
« on: July 08, 2007, 09:14:26 PM »
I was amazed today to find 2 pots of seed from Daphne bholua 'Jaqueline Postill' germinating just a month or so after I sowed them.

Every other daphne species I've raised from seed (mezereum, retusa, tangutica) needed to go through a winter before germinating. So when I spotted a load of seed on my biggest Jaqueline Postill last month, I sowed it expecting to see seedlings next spring. Couldn't believe it when I saw them popping up after just a month. Thought I must have muddled the labels. But I haven't. They're Daphe bholua alright.

Out of interest, anyone know if this is standard for D. bholua? Anyone found seed on it? First time I've seen seed in about the last ten years.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 09:16:01 PM by Martin Baxendale »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Daphne bholua - fast germination!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 12:18:46 AM »
I've had seed of straight D. bholua, the only one I have, not any named clones, and yes, it does germinate very quickly if sown fresh, i.e.right away.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 12:10:06 PM »
I've had seed of straight D. bholua, the only one I have, not any named clones, and yes, it does germinate very quickly if sown fresh, i.e.right away.

I suppose it makes sense, given that D. bholua hails from much milder climatic conditions than most daphnes and wasn't considered very cold-hardy in the UK until our recent run of milder winters. I guess I just got used to thinking of it as completely hardy and forgot its origins, so the immediate germination took me by surprise. A pleasant surprise, though. It makes a nice change not to be hanging around for a year or two waiting to see what, if anything, comes up. Probably bodes well for the seedlings being fast growing and quick to mature and flower (I hope).
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 10:38:09 PM »
My seedlings grew to 30cms in a single year. I gave them all away except one, as I was about to move house at the time but the one I kept flowered in its fourth year.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal