We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne - plastic or clay?  (Read 4816 times)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Daphne - plastic or clay?
« on: December 09, 2014, 06:32:02 PM »
Any views out there as to whether the alpine Daphnes are better grown in plunged clay or plastic pots? Would roots attach to the clay and then make it difficult to pot on without causing root disturbance?
Cheers,
M
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Daphne - plastic or clay?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 12:54:52 PM »
This is certainly true of plastic but I don't have much experience of growing them in clay pots. Robyn White recommends soaking the root ball thoroughly when knocking out of pots to reduce this problem. I think what is more important is the compost - a very open mix using fairly coarse composted bark and grit or perlite, and deep pots to keep moisture at depth. I aim to grow them in the garden in deep sand and crevices rather than in pots where moisture levels can fluctuate very widely (but clays plunged in sand or plastic on capillary matting give a lot more control).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:44:02 PM »
Thanks for your reply Tim.
I might find a sheltered corner to plant one out in a trough to see how it fares, perhaps something tough like a selection of D. cneorum. More choice plants will probably be safer plunged, so it'll be pots for the time being, until we live somewhere less exposed. Moisture does seem to be key, so plunged clays might be the best option. Thanks.
Matt Topsfield

Dave M

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 07:38:12 AM »
Matt, how have you got on with your Daphnes in pots? I have a few compact plants that I'm keen to have a go with in pots, be nice to even get some to a show at some point.
Dave Morris, Lune Valley nr. Lancaster UK

Tristan_He

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
Matt, as previously noted our conditions seem to be fairly similar, and I've killed several Daphnes over the years. One that has done well in the open garden though is D. x rollsdorfii 'Arnold Cihlarz' - it seems to put up with any amount of wind and rain, wedged in between some tufa blocks. I've had mine for about 10 years now and it even survived being transplanted last year (though it was touch and go for a while).

Tristan

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 11:24:02 PM »
Hi guys,
I've not yet been brave enough to try a Daphne outside, but am keen to do so and maybe this year, as I have a couple of planting projects to tackle. Niches of the kind Tristan suggests are the very places that some plants really thrive here, providing excellent drainage and elevating them above the worst of the winter wet.

In the meantime, a clay pot plunged in sand seems to suit Daphne fine here and helps with control of moisture levels. I've yet to repot, so I have not tested my original concern - that roots may adhere to clay pots and present problems (i.e. root disturbance) when repotted. Will let you know how I get on when it becomes necessary (D.petraea v slow growing!)
Matt Topsfield

Dave M

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 09:07:39 PM »
Glad to hear the pot grown plants doing OK, conditions here also not ideal for them outside. I've often soaked special plants I'm worried have adhered to the pot then carefully smashed the pot and taken it off in bits rather than dragging them out come repotting time.
Dave Morris, Lune Valley nr. Lancaster UK

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 06:54:14 AM »
I've only used plastic with daphnes (DD alpina, causcasica, mezereum) but have not tried Daphne petrea as no one seems willing to send seed to us in Australia!
If someone is generous enough to send a few Daphne petrea seed my way I'd be happy to give you a report in due course! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

ian mcdonald

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 12:07:01 PM »
Many Daphnes like a limey soil. Our two native species are found on lime, although D. laureola grows well on neutral soil as well. I don,t know how the howling gales would affect species more used to sheltered areas though.

Jiri Papousek

• Alpine parrot
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 09:46:56 PM »
I would definitely recommend clay pots. Here is example from Cyril Lafong in Glenrothes. With gentle handling there shouldn't be big threat to damage roots during repotting.
Roztoky, elevation 175 m, West border of Czech capital Prague, by Vltava river

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »
Hello I am posting some pictures of my Daphnes taken this week all grown in plastic pots my growing methods are Growing in deep pots watch the watering with care I have added some Pumice to the compost for extra drainage as the Pumice is mixed size is light so does not make the mix solid. The plans shown are Dx Bonnie Glen a Cyril hybrid without doubt on of the finest Daphnes ever D.x Maisy Larae, D.x Susanne from Jiri and D.x Kelsey Ann.  I have just built a Daphnetum in the garden which was a raised bed terraced with old Granite doorsteps have added new John Innes no 3 mixed with  around 50% Pumice probably mixed gravel would do the same, in one corner I have built another Crevice garden for interest and the opposite corner has old Granite sets where I will plant Anemone obtusiloba mixed colours for seed . Will post pictures of this next. cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 08:52:29 AM »
Here is my new Daphnetum a mixed construction really I aim to cover the Daphnes in winter  when the snow comes. I will post more pictures later once I plant more and tidy up the area a bit short of time and need to plan. cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 10:04:21 AM »
Hello just went out and took these picture of two Daphnes in Long plastic pots, cheers Ian the Christie kind
from Kirriemuir

Philip Walker

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 11:14:19 AM »
D. x susannae 'Cheriton'
D. x susannae 'Tichborne'

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2018, 08:23:12 PM »
A fine little Daphne petreae, got last year from Ian Christie, flowers in my rock garden, made with alpine Dolomit-Stones. This Little plant survived cold frosty nights till -18°C in begin of march!
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal