We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: hardy Hymenocallis (aligator lily)  (Read 1473 times)

wooden shoe

hardy Hymenocallis (aligator lily)
« on: October 13, 2010, 10:26:40 PM »
I found out that there are several Hymenocallis native to North America. http://plants.usda.gov/java/nameSearch (fill in: Hymenocallis) gave me a nice overview of several species and their distribution. Hymenocallis occidentalis syn.caroliniana (Alligator lily) is native in Indiana and Illinois is said to be hardy in zone 5. Hymenocallis liriosme is native to the Gulf Coast of Texas and Louisiana and is said to be hardy in zone 6. And there are more species which all look great and are fragrant too. What comes more is that they are often found in marshy environments which will probably protect them from the Narcissus bulb fly (Merodon equestris).
So all good reasons to sell them in Europe in stead of the common Hymenocallis festalis and cultivars which seem to be much enjoyed by the narcissus bulb fly in my garden and are not hardy in zone 7b.

Is there anyone with experience with the hardy Hymenocallis and does anyone know a goodsource for seed (preferred) or bulbs?
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Ezeiza

Re: hardy Hymenocallis (aligator lily)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 11:54:32 PM »
I grow several of them but they are not cold lovers like tulips and hyacinths. They are deeply imbedded in soil which help them survive the winters, when they are dormant. When they are in growth, during the warm season, temperatures are high.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 01:50:09 AM »
 I have numerous collections of H. occidentalis. They flower heavily in full sun and are very fragrant. They do not need wet conditions, but in the wild often inhabit wet areas that dry over the summer.

I have not tried H. liriosme, but it apparently requires more water.

There are several new ones from the Panhandle of Florida also. This summer I found one in TN that was growing on a dry rocky slope by the hundreds without leaves when flowering! Not sure what species it was, but according to the maps it can only be H. occidentalis.

Send me a PM.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »
Although Hymenocallis occidentalis is listed for Indiana, I think it only occurs on one island in the Ohio river at the southwestern-most tip of the State.  Still, I have several accessions of occidentalis from other States, and they do survive outdoors in the ground here in central Indiana (USDA cold zone 5).  The plants getting no special watering seem to do better than those getting heavy irrigation in summer.  I consider occidentalis a dry-land plant.

I also have a nice clump of H. liriosme in the ground, in a protected spot outside the south end of one greenhouse.  It survives there and blooms.  As an experiment, and because I'm running out of space in the greenhouses, we lined out most of the remaining liriosme this past summer -- a few larger ones by the outdoor clump, and the rest in the open field.  We'll see just how hardy they are in the open after this winter.
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 02:42:44 PM »
Hi Jim, nice to see you over here on SRGC, are you taking a break from the ruckus on Alpine-L  :-X

That's interesting to learn that Hymenocallis occidentalis will survive Zone 5 (same zone here), I had just assumed that none of these beautiful bulbs would be hardy here, now I'll have to keep an eye out for seed.  I was friends with the late Thad Howard, and his coverage of the genus in his Bulbs for Warm Climates (I have a signed copy which I cherish) is extensive; many of the Mexican species are extraordinarily beautiful.  Interestingly, some of the Mexican alliums he shared with me are perfectly hardy outside, and have been for more than 10 years, I wonder, depending on the habitat of some of the Mexican Hymenocallis, whether there might be some hardier-than-expected surprises awaiting.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
Hi Mark!  I have not dared to test any of my Mexican Hymenocallis outdoors.  Maybe I ought to....?  I have durangoensis, eucharidifolia, glauca, imperialis, and I'm sure a couple other species I can't recall off hand.  First I guess I need to see how well liriosme does in the open field.
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal