We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2010  (Read 73930 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Hepatica 2010
« Reply #360 on: September 05, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »
Last year I lost 98% of all of my 2009 hepatica plants. I would simply be devastated if it happened again. 

Vilma, why did you lose most of your hepatica last year?  Were the loses during summer or winter? 
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Vilma D

« Reply #361 on: September 14, 2010, 07:49:11 PM »
Last year I lost 98% of all of my 2009 hepatica plants. I would simply be devastated if it happened again. 

Vilma, why did you lose most of your hepatica last year?  Were the loses during summer or winter? 

Sorry to have taken so long to reply Diane.  Recently my to do list expanded to stressfull proportions.

I have lost my 2009 hepaticas (8 plants) mainly due to my complete inexperience in their cultivation and impatience. I made every possible mistake.

It didn't help that I've replanted hepaticas at least 3 times that summer, cut all the leaves too early / in the autumn (they looked unhealthy) and, to make the matters worse, the snails or slugs had a go on the remaining buds as well.

Plus the weather wasn't too kind last winter. The little pots have frose through.  As I have no greenhouse for wind and rain protection, trying to save my plants I sillily took them inside and watered with room temperature water (to defrost - could I have made a more damaging move!!!).  As you may guess, this turned them into mash.

As you can see, it was an utter disaster and due to nobody else's fault but my own.

Since then I researched for the information on cultivation and propagation of Hepatica plants mainly on the internet as there are no books published in English language yet.  I can't wait for the release of John Massey's, Ashwood Nurseries, work.

I read all forum topics on Hepatica subject.  Thanks to all members who kindly share their knowledge and experience on this Forum, I seem to have done everything right this time..  ;) 

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #362 on: September 16, 2010, 09:50:51 PM »
Vilma, If you would like to send me a message, I may have some spare plants you can experiment with.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Vilma D

« Reply #363 on: October 01, 2010, 09:50:21 PM »
Dear Annew,

That's brilliant :)!  I am thrilled.  I hope my message has reached you well.

Thank you for your offer.

Vilma

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal