We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lysichiton camtschatcensis  (Read 1899 times)

Stephen Vella

Lysichiton camtschatcensis
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:56:25 PM »
Can anyone spare some seed of Lysichiton camtschensis or does anyone know what time of year it produces seed? Hope Im not late.

cheers
Stephen
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Lysichiton camtschatcensis
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:04:42 AM »
Stephen Ryan used to grow it at Mt Macedon; give him a call!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 07:45:55 AM »
Stephen,

I've never managed to flower mine unfortunately, so can't help with seed.  Never managed to flower my americanum either for that matter.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 05:11:27 PM »
Never managed to flower my americanum either for that matter.  ::)

Plant it in the bed of a shallow year-round stream, in soft squelchy mud at least a meter deep.

I tried to dig one up years ago and discovered the crown was far, far deeper than my long-bladed transplant spade could reach. And there was a fear of becoming stuck in the mud.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 11:06:20 PM »
Rodger,

Oh yes, I have 3 areas that suit perfectly here on my tiny suburban block!  NOT!  ;D ;D

I don't have it near running water, but I do have it planted into a laundry sink that has been sunk into the ground.  Constant moisture, but no running water.  The "mud" is perhaps 40cm deep, so not nearly the metre you're wanting.  Somehow I think this is the closest I am going to get to a running stream in my tiny corner block in the "burbs".  ;D  I've only had it in the current location for a growing season, so I am waiting to see how it goes this year.  My camschatcensis is in a small pot in a pond, and I really do need to pot it up into something much bigger to give it some space.  It is still alive though, which is a decent start to proceedings.  8)

Thanks for the info.  I would put it next to a running stream if only I had acreage with one, and believe me, I dearly wish I did!!!!!!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 08:22:08 AM »
Paul,

I've seen it growing perfectly happily (very happily indeed) in muddy clayey ground next to a pond at Myddelton House in the UK. Running water isn't essential.

If Stephen Ryan doesn't have it , you could try Sally Johannsohn - I've seen both camtschensis & americanum growing there.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »
Rob,

Out of interest..... Sun or shade?  I've been told that full sun is ideal for it, yet every pic I've seen is usually in wooded areas etc, so I am not sure whether I should have it in full sun or not?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 10:18:30 PM »
At Myddleton House it was in full sun, in ground that must have been moist year round, the plants running out into rather coarse grass. Sally's plants are also in full sun, but with a drier aspect, because her place is on such a slope.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 02:36:50 AM »
Stephen - Both are here growing in heavy wet mud that stays wet year round.  Some are in moving water, some along the edges well above the water and even some in stagnant bogs (despite the books call for running water). The bog-planted ones eventually find their way down to the mud.  I got mine many years ago from Siskyou Rare Plants, they arrived bare-root in late November and were planted straight away.  It was amazing how long the roots were - coiled around in the packet, tiny crowns with foot long roots.  They immediately leafed out and grew till Xmas.  I thought they would be toast with winter still ahead yet they survived unscathed.  Hybrids between the two species have popped up downstream.  The americanums can get head height, camtschatcense around 30-36 inches. Full sun and  spring sun /summer shade (from deciduous tree) seem to work here.

I see in my notes I planted seeds one year on the 23rd of September so the seeds must have ripened just a few weeks to a month before that. Deer or someone are fond of the seed pods. You can spot a clump of seedlings in the last photo left foreground.

johnw
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:45:00 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »
Very cool, John.  Interesting that they're hybridising.  What do the hybrids look like?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal