We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Would shredded conifer make good compost??  (Read 22522 times)

iann

Re: Would shredded conifer make good compost??
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »
I'm happy to use shredded conifer in compost.  Just on its own it will heat up nicely if you have enough.  Mixed with a few grass cuttings it will go crazy.  If you can't shred it you'll have problems though.
near Manchester,  NW England, UK

newstart

Re: Would shredded conifer make good compost??
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
Hi Iann thanks again for another very useful answer. I say this as I am a little hard up right now. From what you are saying you think that the conifer in the bark will break down with the sheer heat generated so I would not necessarily spend money on my water bill watering it to make it break down with the leaf mould way. I was wondering about this more than anything else simply because when I was moving the piles it was as hot as anything and was steaming. I did not know if this was the bark or the conifer degrading down very fast but in some areas it was already black. The tree feller said to me he sells it for fuel and keeps it in storage bays. But he did seem to say it was from a recent job that day that he was bringing my load from. I was wondering what you would make of what I have said above given your previous answer about fast degradation.

Thanks Iann
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal