We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Parnassia palustis  (Read 2562 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Parnassia palustis
« on: August 07, 2010, 08:44:21 PM »
Identification photographs of this native member of Saxifragaceae.

Showing also growing in damp flush and as a true saxatile. Note lack of chlorophyll when growing on an underhang.

Photographs taken on Isle of Eigg near the "Singing Sands".
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 08:55:59 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Parnassia palustis
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 07:10:05 AM »
interesting to see it growing on the rock--here it grows in grasses, sedges and other often fairly heavy vegetation, such that leaves are hard to see--the flowers just float up out the the grasses and leaves of other plants!

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:49:17 AM »
I've never been able to germinate Parnassia --i've kept a seed register since april 06 and a quick perusal just before shows i've tried a number of different sps including fresh seed collected at sea level and higher ground ,(700 mtrs). :(

I've experimented with a number of different potting mixes --peat based , sowing on spag. moss ---all to no avail.

Despite this i continue sowing in hope ........

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 06:03:45 AM »
I've never been able to germinate Parnassia --i've kept a seed register since april 06 and a quick perusal just before shows i've tried a number of different sps including fresh seed collected at sea level and higher ground ,(700 mtrs). :(

I've experimented with a number of different potting mixes --peat based , sowing on spag. moss ---all to no avail.

Despite this i continue sowing in hope ........

hmm..i've collected seed for kristl, but i haven't sown it!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal