We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus August 2010  (Read 8302 times)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Re: Crocus August 2010
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »
Lesley,
thank you for explaining the seasonal differences. I would find it challenging to cross C. biflorus ssp. melantherus with an spring crocus i.e C. chrysanthus?
Did you ever try?
Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 10:42:03 PM »
Thanks everyone, yes crocus te is the real harbinger of spring to come but as Dave says, the weekend's forecast is nasty with snow to low levels.

Otto, I think my laevigatus must be v. fonteneyi, which I imported from Van Tubergen many years ago when such things were possible. The only other I have a s F/S is from Marcus, the so called "gold" backed form, a soft yellow in my mind with white inners. But that flowered last year in spring too.

The biflorus astrospermus also came from Marcus but he may have had it from Pasche. The picture shows it lavender or purple but in reality it is much closer to blue and a good rich blue at that. I really love it. So tiny and perfect for a trough I think.

The gargaricus pic is of staright gargaricus but I have ssp herbertii as well and I can see no difference whatsoever. ::)

I never attempted the cvijicii/veluchensis cross. I collected seed twice off the former and both times they turned out to be the hybrid. Since I moved cvijicii, I've not had any seed at all, veluchensis no longer being nearby. Would cvijicii cross with sieberi? I ask because also nearby was 'Bowles' White' and a few of the hybrid seedlings were pure white with a little yellow in the throat, seedlings from cvijicii, that is.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 11:07:13 PM »
No I never tried that Armin but since C biflorus ssp melantherus is out and so are one or two chrysanthus vars, 'Zwanenburg Bronze,' for instance, as soon as the sun warms a little (both rain and frost over night) I'll go out with a paint brush. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 01:35:42 PM »
Lesley,
maybe you will breed the first yellow/orange autuum flowering, easy growing, biflorus/chrysanthus hybrid with black anthers and nicely striped outside? :o 8) ;D
A color which is very rare in autuum croci (except C. scharojanii).

I would be interested if such combination works and you get viable seed or if there is a genetical barrier.
Good luck! ;)
Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 11:04:17 PM »
I'll try Armin! :D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 09:55:40 PM »
Marcus Harvey in Tasmania has a new seedlist available now and it contains many Crocus species as well as Colchicum, Fritillaria, Calochortus and others. He posts seed overseas and will send an email list if asked. hillview400@hotmail.com
Glad I've already sent my order off! ;D

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 04:35:40 PM »
Yesterday got very sads news about death of very famous gardener and my great friend Jim Archibald. To establish his memory I decided to name this crocus, collected during common trip as Crocus hittiticus 'Jim'.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 04:39:39 PM »
Janis, it is so very sad about Jim's death , I know but it is somehow a good feeling to think of this lovely flower bringing him to mind.

Would you do me a great favour and  post your message and this picture of the crocus in the thread where Ji'm death is recorded?
It is here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5879.0

Thank you,
 Maggi
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 01:03:23 AM »
Down south again, Crocus angustifolius has come out. It looks great in the sunshine.
238170-0

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »
Janis, your photograph of Crocus hittiticus 'Jim', shown here, is a wonderful tribute to your friend that will live on in memory of all that he did and meant to you, thank you so much for showing it.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2010, 07:03:05 PM »
This weekend in flower: Crocus scharojanii
from NO-Turkey, unusual small this year
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
This weekend in flower: Crocus scharojanii
from NO-Turkey, unusual small this year
Due horrible hot (over +30 C) all flowerbuds of scharojanii with me schrivelled and dried out after only showing some color below cataphylls.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 12:21:24 AM »
A few in flower now in the Southern Hemisphere. Some pictures are truly dreadful for which I apologise but when I went out to retake, the rain has mushed them altogether. I may have some spelling incorrect too.

1 Is this one C. vernus? It appeared as a single flower last year where I never planted it and is obviously going to make a nice clump quickly.

2 C. olivieri ssp balansae, the first to flower from Thomas H's seed. From this ssp is the selection 'Chocolate Soldier.'

3 C. chrysanthus 'Eyecatcher'

4 and 5 C. x Bornmuelleri, new this year from Marcus Harvey

6 C. sieberi 'Midas Touch.' I expected this to be more gold rather than creamy.

7 and 8 C. minimus albus

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 08:41:01 AM »
Lesley , I like your C. x bornmuelleri very much .
and your ? vernus is just a pale Tommy - soon you will have a clump of a thousand!
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 10:21:18 PM »
Thanks for that Otto. I'm delighted to have a pale Tommy as honestly, I have never had tommies before, except a couple I ordered last year from Marcus - and one of those died! No idea where this one came from, maybe a seed in a nursery pot from somewhere. When I have 100 plus, I'll plant them out in the grass. :D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal