We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gentiana georgei  (Read 3774 times)

arisaema

Gentiana georgei
« on: July 18, 2010, 04:20:10 PM »
Is G. georgei very finicky with regards to drainage and winter wet? It's finally reached flowering size, and I'm tempted to try it in the open garden - i.e. clayey, slighly acidic loam in which G. sino-ornata thrives.

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
Re: Gentiana georgei
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:15:03 PM »
I don't know that I have the answer as I've not grown this species. But, I have seen this on the Beima Shan in Yunnan where it was growing on the limestone side in till (boulder clay) containing substantial fragments of limestone. So, I'd guess the soil is almost certainly alkaline, but was moderately well drained (we were there during a wet spell).  So, ..... most unlike G sino-ornata, which in the wild grows in very wet, sploggy habitats, but which in the garden thrives as you say in much drier conditions.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

arisaema

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »
Thank you, judging from the habitat I guess it's best kept in the cold frame, at least until this years seedlings grow large enough to be tried outside. It's done ok in my standard, peaty mix with pH 5.5-6, so the limestone actually came as a bit of a surprise!

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »
Yes, it was a bit of a surprise to me too. Here's an image of Gentiana georgei from that habitat on the Beima Shan, Yunnan. The blocks of rock on the left are limestone.

the second image is of Gentiana hexaphylla from the same general area - till on limestone.

I have to add that I've only seen these species at the one locality and have no general knowledge of their diistribution in relation to soil type.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:45:09 PM by DaveM »
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:33:34 PM »
That's a scrumptious-looking plant, I hope we'll see your in flower soon Arisaema.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arisaema

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 10:03:48 AM »
Dave;

Thanks for the lovely pictures! I found one taken on Min Shan were my seeds came from, and the habitat looks very similar. Not having a rock garden I've tried to avoid those alpines that are "rock garden plants", apparently not very successfully, as I've just pricked out 10 G. hexaphylla... :P

Lesley;

Will try to get a pic if the flowers don't rain away, shouldn't be too long till they open.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
arisaema, I grow G. georgei in open garden.

I've been grown it for 4 years and I still can't say what does it need and want. It is very hardy. But some plants can suddenly die in the summer without any reason. This year only one plant from 4 like yours flowered. And again no seeds.  :(
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal