We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: my oxalis garden  (Read 23443 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: my oxalis garden
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2011, 03:00:43 PM »
You may like to compare with other pink acetosellas shown earlier:
A pink form is often seen offered on the seed exchanges.

Stephen, good seeing my own photo again... I thought it looked familiar :D  Actually, it is also good to discover that others have bright pink forms, such as with Trond's plants, because when I was first wondering about what Oxalis I had, researching the potential species such as O. acetosella and montana, photo invariably show mostly white-flowered plants, the flowers veined with pink, but no overall base pink color.

I do love this plant, and while it gets around the woodland garden a bit too freely, it is so shallowly rooted it can't really hurt anything. The soft billowy foliage which expands after flowering looks good too.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »
Hello dabi!
What a collection of oxalis! I knew the genus of Oxalis had many members but didn't realise this.
Are some of your plants hardy, that is tolerating winter freezing temperatures?
I grow only a few species in my garden, here is one: Oxalis acetocella or maybe a hybrid.
Trond, this pink acetosella is phantastic. Not hybridf, I saw few pinkish in our forests, too, but no one so bright to worth collect. Yours is very good.
Janis
Thanks, Janis!
The reason I assumed it is a probable hybrid is that I once or twice have collected very pink woodsorrels from the wild here but I have also once planted an O. montana. Neither are to be found where they were planted but seedlings occur everywhere, some with leaves that are much bigger than normal.

You may like to compare with other pink acetosellas shown earlier:
A pink form is often seen offered on the seed exchanges.

Stephen, good seeing my own photo again... I thought it looked familiar :D  Actually, it is also good to discover that others have bright pink forms, such as with Trond's plants, because when I was first wondering about what Oxalis I had, researching the potential species such as O. acetosella and montana, photo invariably show mostly white-flowered plants, the flowers veined with pink, but no overall base pink color.

I do love this plant, and while it gets around the woodland garden a bit too freely, it is so shallowly rooted it can't really hurt anything. The soft billowy foliage which expands after flowering looks good too.
Nice to see yours plant too Mike and! The last picture shows a form very similar to mine but I have never got  woodsorrels from seed or plant exchanges.
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

ajbroome

• Oxalis and such
« Reply #137 on: February 02, 2011, 12:29:10 AM »
Lesley,

re: Ox. obtusa.

> ... I think the only one we have is the coral one or very close to it.

There are at least 3 colours in NZ, an 'apricot', a 'pink' and a 'yellow'.  I've got all 3 and can supply all but the yellow one at this stage if you want any?

BTW:  There is an 'Oxalis-growers' group on YAHOO, PM me if anyone wants details.

Andrew.

Kiyel

• Savagegardenz
« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2019, 10:12:45 PM »
Great collection, You have some amazing plants. Some we can only drewl over here.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal