We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Yorkshire Sculpture Park  (Read 806 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Yorkshire Sculpture Park
« on: June 27, 2010, 07:14:08 PM »
Set within 500 acres of superb Yorkshire countryside but a stone's throw from Wakefield and Barnsley is Britain's first and largest sculpture park showing permanent and temporary exhibitions. The sculpture park actually resides within the Historic Park of Bretton Park. I know this is primarily a gardening forum so I'll try and keep to gardening subjects - though as gardening is also about aesthetics some sculptures may seek in!

Location: M1 junction 38 between Barnsley and Wakefield. Signposted.

Type: Parkand with lakes, wildlife reserves, meadows and formal gardens.

Facilities: Galleries, shop, restaurant and numerous kiosks. Free entry but car parking £4 all day.

Information: None on gardens but plenty of books on Richard Long, Andy Goldsworthy and other land artists.

Owners/funding: Local councils & Arts Council England.

Henderson rating: 2/5 for Parkland and Gardens. 4/5 for destination (if like me you like art/sculpture).

Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Yorkshire Sculpture Park
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 07:18:24 PM »
It's a lovely place. I worked at Bretton Hall Teacher Training College for a spell in the '60's.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 07:19:07 PM »
and now some work by Alec Finlay (yes, son of Ian Hamilton Finlay) whose work I admire for its playfulness and invention (I've also be fortunate to publish some of his poetry).

These are mesostic poems, as Alec says:
"Labels of mesostic poems on the names of flora. A mesostic has a name-stem and word branches, and the poems reveal the plants' nature to us in different ways".

I think you'll enjoy this small selection...
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »
and some more shots ...though note the sculptures start to sneak in

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
one of the great things about the park is that sheep roam as they would in a picturesque manner at any grand house during the golden era of the 18th and 19th centuries. Accordingly, I was well chuffed to get this atmospheric shot as the sheep blundered past to another viewing (it only lacked a shepherd).

And finally, the final shots.

For more see www.ysp.co.uk

Thanks for the indulgence.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 09:57:55 PM »
Fascinating, thank you so much.  Love the poems and the tree seat.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 09:48:02 AM »
It seems a very long time since Ian had  a couple of pieces of sculpture in a travelling exhibition that spent some time at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park..... this may be because it was a long time ago! Early 1980s, probably!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal