We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Saxifraga trifurcata  (Read 3867 times)

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
Saxifraga trifurcata
« on: June 21, 2010, 04:34:35 PM »
I was looking for information regarding this plant (new to me!) and searched the forums here...and didn't find anything related to it!
On the other side I found "Azorella trifurcata", and the pics on the net look pretty similar...
Sorry if the question sounds silly to you, but is it just another trick of our dear name-juggling botanists, or are they actually two different plants?
Saxifraga trifurcata (the name under which I bought it) has been a lovely addition to my shade garden since last year, and seems to thrive in my heavy, wet soil so far.
The evergreen foliage is very pleasant, and that "cushion effect" is a true consolation for one who cannot grow so many of your dear alpines!
It started to bloom by mid-may, and is still in bloom these days. Pretty cool, isn't it?
All the more, it is nearly a local plant for me, since it originates from the Pyrenees mountains, rather on the spanish side though.
Do some of you also grow it?
Any particular advice regarding its growing preferences?
Some sites say it can reach 1 yard in diameter...oups..that's a lot for my poor shade bed! How fast does it grow? Does it mind being split/reduced?
Thank you in advance to share your experience!
Zeph
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 04:37:26 PM by zephirine »
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Saxifraga trifurcata
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 06:36:21 PM »
Hi, Zephirine.... no they're not the same plant. Saxifraga trifurcata is , according to  my friend Malcolm McGregor's Saxifrage book one of the taller saxigfrages.
He says: "S. trifurcata- large cushions or mats, flower stems to 30cms, 5-15 flowers. Leaves shiny, dark green, blade to 2 x 3 cm (plus petiole as long again) with 3 divergent lobes with sharply pointeddivergent subdivisions. Petals to 11 x 15mm. Very easy in the open forming large cushions. Foliage shiny and stiffer than in some species. Plants in the garden are not typical of wild populations. In some cases they may be S. x schraderi, a hybrid with S. continentalis.
Northern Spain (not Pyrenees)."

The plant is in Series Ceratophyllae and is mostly found, from what I gather from the book, in the Picos de Europa and the mountains of Cantabria.
I don't think the plant will mind being split up- it soundes robust enough to take that.

Malcolm McGregor "Saxifrages"  Published by Timber Press 2008   
 ISBN-13-:978-0-88192-8808
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 06:43:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 10:24:48 PM »
Without the flowers, your plant looks quite like Azorella trifurcata but that is a hard cushion growing to a mat and the flowers are tiny, in little green bunches. It is South American. It may be under Bolax now.
229817-0
229819-1
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:25:58 AM »
Thank you Maggi and Lesley for this useful information!
Mother Nature likes to copy her own patterns, Lesley, I had already observed some evidence of self-plagiarism, lol!
Funny though, how the foliage looks alike on both, and how they form mats in a similar way! The flowers are obviously different.
I'll have to wait till next year to see how fast it expands. As long as I can control it, I don't mind. Such a lovely evergreen cushion, in shade, is really welcome here! Thanks again, ladies!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 11:09:51 AM »
Our pleasure to be of help, Zephirine!
I agree with you... such dark , glossy greens are a real boon in the winter.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

astragalus

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »
Sax. trifurcata is one of the first saxes I tried and it grew well for years.  Your pictures are definitely what I grew as Sax. trifurcata and the description of "stiffer" foliage is right on the mark.  It was quite stiff, almost prickly to the touch. It eventually died, and I've never seen once since until you posted your pictures.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 08:15:55 PM »
Of course Sax trifurata is Saxifragaceae while the Azorella is Apiaceae. Trifurcate means split into 3 forks or branches so I guess it could apply to a lot of plants.

When I ggogled, there was a picture of the Azorella used as a total ground cover under a tree, many square metres of it. Nice lawn with no mowing needed. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
Nice lawn with no mowing needed. :D
Every plant lover's dream...:D
S. trifurcata received a distinction at the best-known french Plants Fair in France (Courson):
http://www.domaine-de-courson.fr/Attribue-a-Saxifraga-trifurcata-de-Bouet-Servat-Les-Merites-de-Courson-Prix-et-Recompenses-Archives-de-Courson-Journees-des-Plantes/p/4/587/2391/
A friend asked me if it was scented, saying her S. paniculata for instance "smelled wonderful"......it's a bit late for me to to check this year(and I would have to lie on a few other plants to try!). Had you noticed anything, Astragalus?
Had you plant expanded a lot, before it "eventually died"?

astragalus

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 02:35:25 AM »
It's been a while since I grew it so don't really recall the scent.  I grew it where it got some dappled shade for most of the afternoon, a rarity in this garden.  It expanded quite a bit and the expanded clumps (perhaps 12-15") had a billowing effect rather than a single defined cushion.  I think it really died from neglect because I was busy as usual expanding the garden.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 04:57:10 AM »
Thank you, Astragalus! I'll have to ask Santa Claus for a "nose trumpet" next Xmas... ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal