We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Freaky flowers - wacky aberrations  (Read 6735 times)

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Freaky flowers - wacky aberrations
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2010, 10:51:16 PM »
Oh I know what to say to that photo gallery...

"I'll have one of each, please..."
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2010, 10:52:34 PM »
Mark, here is a link to the page about the cuttings.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2384.msg54044#msg54044

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2010, 11:05:01 PM »
Mark,there was no interest in them so I disposed of most of them,only about 30 left. I tried showing them but the judges always disqualified them for one reason or another.(Alpine plant judges do not like Lewisias)I then tried showing them in the noncompetitive classes and got some silver and gold awards.
In the end I got disillusioned and got rid of most of them. I have some growing outside in a scree bed and they are doing fine.
I don't have a nursery any more as I am retired now. The local Development authority took my nursery land to build a factory, and then didn't bother.'Typical.'

GASP! What a terrible shame that many or most of these don't exist any more.  And it's a shame about your land too!  Did you ever contact any American nursery sources about your hybrids?  Some of the Lewisia hybrids other than rediviva crosses, such your bracycalyx hybrids, are particularly pleasing, as are the Lewisia wallowensis color forms :o .  There are some companies now specializing in introducing plants from breeders around the world (the breeders get a royalty of plants sold) such as Plant's Nouveau (http://www.plantsnouveau.com/)... it's an interesting concept.  I think about how Lewisa 'Little Plum' is in every nursery, every big box home and garden improvement center, in Grocery store floral departments, and it's not even a particularly pretty plant... America could use hybrids like yours.  Are the ones that fasciated this year just a few plants, or of a particular cross?  Thanks for the link of stem propagation... I haven't read it yet, but will do so tonight.  Thanks again. 

If there is any consolation, please be sure that any plant lover and rock gardener who sees your gallery, will be astounded and greatly appreciate all the work and the subsequent insight into the possibilities of plant breeding.  Congratulations!!!  I hope it is ok,  I posted a link to your gallery on the young NARGS Forum, in their Lewsia topic.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2010, 11:09:07 PM »
I hope it is ok,  I posted a link to your gallery on the young NARGS Forum, in their Lewsia topic.

No problem Mark,Thanks.

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »
Another wacky aberrataion turned up today - the twistedstem nettle (Urtica dioica)
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2010, 07:46:58 PM »
Another wacky aberrataion turned up today - the twistedstem nettle (Urtica dioica)

Stephen, a weird one... maybe a rare and unusual intergeneric cross with Streptopus?  ;D  Even though the stems are twisted, looks like it'll be just as effective at stinging.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Martinr

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »
Michael, thanks for that link. I clearly missed that thread when it was originally posted. Great way to propagate and less likely to lose the parent as well. Some of your hybrids live on in a collection I acquired last year and show judges will yet again be challenged to accept them once I've grown them on a bit. Just one example below

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2010, 09:15:19 PM »
Martin, you have no chance with the judges, I tried many times before giving up. It seems that Lewisias have gone out of fashion. :(

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2010, 09:18:23 PM »

Stephen, a weird one... maybe a rare and unusual intergeneric cross with Streptopus?  ;D  Even though the stems are twisted, looks like it'll be just as effective at stinging.

:) I can assure you it was effective...
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2010, 09:36:48 PM »
Martin, you have no chance with the judges, I tried many times before giving up. It seems that Lewisias have gone out of fashion. :(
Have a look at this year's results frm the Aberdeen SRGC show, Michael......no problem with them there!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2010, 09:41:41 PM »
AAAH Maggi, but that is Scotland, :) try them further south or at this side of the pond and you will get a different response. They don't like the hybs.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:44:11 PM by Michael J Campbell »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal