We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 15763 times)

ArnoldT

World Cup 2010
« on: May 30, 2010, 03:34:01 PM »
We are just 11 days from the 2010 World Cup and as I can see we have representatives from many nations that will participate. 
Although it is rather strange for an American to introduce a Soccer topic I am a bit of an a 'unusual' American when it comes to soccer.

I spent 15 years with the game as  the team physio for the NY Cosmos and then the United States National Team.  I have attached the  full picture that serves as my ID on the SRGC.  Aston Villa's Brad Freidel was one of my under-16 players way back when.

I think the discussion can take any direction as long as there are no yellow and red card offenses and we follow the rules of FIFA "Fair Play".

I for one are interested in the weather at the various SA sites.  I've looked at a map and some of the cities may have wet cold weather.

So lets have a go. 

Can anyone beat the Brazilians!
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: World Cup 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 04:08:08 PM »
Arnold i'd like to think its Englands year our starting table shouldn't cause too many hiccups but unless we get an easy ride to the finals i can't see us winning.I think its a pretty safe bet to say a South American side will lift the cup this year,but who ever wins it it's going to be fantastic.BRING ON THE WORLD CUP ;D ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 04:36:09 PM »
Well, Japan just beat themselves today ... they scored three superb goals to lose 2-1.  If they can take penalties as well then they should prove unbeatable ... unless they are drawn against Japan!!!!   An occidental conundrum from the man who baffles himself most of the time. LOL.   ??? ;D

It's your fault Arnold ... you started it!

Who do Scotland play? 
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 05:02:47 PM by Michael J Campbell »

ArnoldT

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 05:17:02 PM »
Mike:

Thierry Henry would be an asset if we played "hand ball"....
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 06:33:31 PM »
Michael, I thought you only had to say you liked Guinness, or to spread Kerrygold on your toast, to qualify to play for the R of I these days ;D

Scotland's football team is, of course, well known, for not having qualified for any tournament held this century :P Indeed the Scottish FA only ever book one night's bed and breakfast for the team for all competitions.

Arnold, it wouldn't surprise me if your lot gave my lot a bit of a shock.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

daveyp1970

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 06:58:36 PM »
Michael, I thought you only had to say you liked Guinness, or to spread Kerrygold on your toast, to qualify to play for the R of I these days ;D

Scotland's football team is, of course, well known, for not having qualified for any tournament held this century :P Indeed the Scottish FA only ever book one night's bed and breakfast for the team for all competitions.

Arnold, it wouldn't surprise me if your lot gave my lot a bit of a shock.
how funny ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 07:09:14 PM »
Michael, I thought you only had to say you liked Guinness, or to spread Kerrygold on your toast, to qualify to play for the R of I these days Grin

Or come  from one the six occupied Counties. ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:27:09 PM by Michael J Campbell »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 07:13:40 PM »
Michael, I thought you only had to say you liked Guinness, or to spread Kerrygold on your toast, to qualify to play for the R of I these days Grin

Or be from one the six occupied Counties. ;D

History has a lot to answer for Michael ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

alpines

• Alan's the one with the beard
    • The Alpine Garden
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »
...and pity me!!!! An Englishman living in the USA. Just as well neither of them will win. You've got to fancy Spain...or maybe Argentina. So by my flawless prediction history, I reckon Lesley's mob...the Kiwi's, are hot favorites, especially having just caused a riot in Serbia !!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:19:21 PM by alpines »
Alan & Sherba Grainger
in beautiful Berea, Kentucky, USA. Zone 6
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

alpines

• The Alpine Garden
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
...and having been deprived of some decent football conversation for the last 4 years (talk 'football' to an American and they immediately don shoulder pads and start talking about Bears and Cowboys), you might never get me off this thread. And where did the word 'soccer' come from anyway? When a foot kicks a ball....that makes it 'football. What have socks got to do with it? Answers on a shin pad please.
Alan & Sherba Grainger
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

daveyp1970

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:28:31 PM »
...and pity me!!!! An Englishman living in the USA. Just as well neither of them will win. You've got to fancy Spain...or maybe Argentina. So by my flawless prediction history, I reckon Lesley's mob...the Kiwi's, are hot favorites, especially having just caused a riot in Serbia !!!
that was fantastic result for the all whites(im sure I've read somewhere they've called the New Zealand side that) against Serbia.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 09:41:09 PM »
Yes, the NZ side are called "All Whites" as distinct from the "All Blacks" who are our rugby team. And the All Whites beat Serbia yesterday, (but wearing all black while the Serbians wore all white. Confused? ??? )The Serbians weren't very happy about it apparently. They're ranked around 8-10 in the world or similar while NZ is ranked about 798th. ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:42:40 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

alpines

• The Alpine Garden
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 10:27:25 PM »
You New Zealanders cause trouble wherever you go  ;D
Alan & Sherba Grainger
www.thealpinegarden.com
www.KentuckyFlora.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »
And have much pleasure in doing so. ;D Well, we have to be useful for something. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal