We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The Burren, County Clare, Ireland. May 2010  (Read 5235 times)

jomowi

Re: The Burren, County Clare, Ireland. May 2010
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2010, 08:59:03 PM »
Paddy, very nice to see.  A few years ago we went to the Burren and enjoyed it apart for an argument between our can and German tourist coach on a narrow road.  Maureen also had food poisoning from a seafood chowder. Much of the plants that you show were almost over although there were late specimens of many in colder spots.  I particularly recall sheets of Gentian right by the sea.  We did find an Ophrys near one of the Turlouchs.  If you contact me privately I can give you a 10 figure Irish grid reference which may help.  There is such a mixture of Southern European and alpine plants that make this a magic place, well worth a visit.  Limestone pavements are a rare habitat in Scotland although we have just seen a small patch in Perthshire.
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2010, 09:35:30 PM »
Robin, David and Lori,

Many thanks for your kind comments, greatly appreciated.

Lori,
Below are two photographs of the hawkweed which I had intended to post earlier. I'd be delighted if you had a look at them and took a stab at an identification.

Brian,
Glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to the area despite the mishaps. Good find to come on the Ophrys. Don't worry about the grid references - I have good guides for the plants and will come on it in due time. Much appreciated.

Paddy
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:42:58 PM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2010, 10:46:59 PM »
A great "Tale of the unexpected" Paddy !!
What a delightfully surprising area !
Thank you so much for introducing it to me !   :D :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

angie

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2010, 11:42:42 PM »
Paddy we did get to Helen Dillon's garden and like you said she is a very nice and generous lady. She gave me a Celmisa longifolia which was doing well until l moved it - sadly l have lost it  :'( I would love to go back, there was so many wonderful plants in her garden and maybe l might be lucky and get another Clemisa.

Really enjoying your amazing pictures. It makes me want to see more of Ireland 8)

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2010, 08:24:30 AM »
Luc, It really is a very different area, certainly different to the usual picture people have of Ireland. It is too often described as "a lunar landscape" and, at first appearance, this seems appropriate but one soon realises what a fertile place this is. All those grykes/scailps are full of the most nutritious soil and the plants thrive in the shelter they provide. This does not explain the wild diversity of plants found there, something which is truly amazing.

Angie, you have experienced Helen's well-known generosity. We have found that if we admire a plant we are given it and it is often necessary to refuse resolutely so as not to feel one is imposing too heavily on her generosity.

Come and visit!

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal