We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A foxglove with a split personality?  (Read 3336 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
A foxglove with a split personality?
« on: June 02, 2007, 04:37:51 PM »
Hi there,

Can anyone help me identify this stranger in my garden?  I thought it was going to be a foxglove, though I don't know where it came from. It's about 4 feet tall, three stems, all flowering in the same way.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Corinne

Re: A foxglove with a split personality?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 04:55:21 PM »
 ;D
Aconitum?
Iowa, USA, Zone 4

bdp

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 05:19:34 PM »
Shelagh,

It appear foxglove like enough in the foliage but the flowers look more like one of the terrestrial orchids....I have seen something similar but have to dig through my files....where is the plant located and is it local?

Brian Parker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 06:17:52 PM »
I reckon you have a distorted foxglove there, Shelagh.  Whether it will be a permanent change is open to question... and time, I suppose!  I did see something about a new form of Foxglove that some growers was pushing, it had a sort of open exploded flower too.... couldn't see the point in it... it ceases to be a foxglove then, doesn't it?
I think yours will be a freak event... not sure I'd bother keeping seed to see if it persisits??!! :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 08:57:44 PM »
Shelagh,

I has all the looks of a foxglove though with this unusual flower.

Maggi, there is a form of foxglove where the top flower stand on the top of the plant and opens flat.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

razvan chisu

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 09:12:28 AM »
I think it is peloria, a condition which sometimes affects flowers in the Scrophulariaceae family. Characters are often hereditary.
alpines, ferns, bulbs, climbers, shrubs,annuals, tropicals, edibles, vegetables, etc

http://razvanchisu.blogspot.co.uk/

Snowman 54

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »
Hi,

this is mutation is not peloria but does look like heptandra.  Both are well documented, with heptandra first recorded in 1826.  These variants are due to 'recessive' genes ... like blue eyes in people, only much rarer.  

Regards.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 07:52:53 PM by Maggi Young »

bdp

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 01:39:32 PM »
Hi Shelagh,

I am not an expert (a landscape architect) but while visiting a residential site found a similar form of plant growing throughout the clients property....was a few years back but asking a few local experts was led to believe that it was an introduced terrestrial orchid...European in origin...looking in the provincial flora I cannot find anything noted as introduced but seems similar to genus either Spiranthes or Platanthera.   It was definitely an orchid though but at first viewing I also thought it one of the more common garden perennials..hope this helps a bit..

Brian in New Brunswick
Brian Parker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 09:46:07 AM »
Hi, Brian, and, belatedly, Snowman54! Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your contributions.

bdp

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 01:10:25 AM »
Hi again...S......was looking again at the provincial flora book and found the reference that I thought I remembered...the plant was Epipactus helleborine...a Eurasian introduction to much of Canada...or enough of Canada...apparently is very common though it was the first time I ever noticed it.  The following web page is a description from Ontario and the flowers certainly are similar....take care.

Brian

http://ontariowildflowers.com/main/species.php?id=93
Brian Parker

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 01:05:53 PM »
One of the things I love about the Forum is that nothing ever dies.  Topics you think have gone by the board forever suddenly spring up again just like plants.  Hurrah for the Forum and all it's dedicated followers.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

HClase

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
I don't think it's Epipactis, we have that as a weed in our garden.  I agree that it's some dort of distorted Foxglove.
Howard Clase, St John's, Newfoundland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 06:45:42 PM »
I don't think it's Epipactis, we have that as a weed in our garden
Howard, given the trouble we have with getting Epipactis to regard life here as worth living, when there are folks like you boasting about it being aweed, is really NOT FAIR!!  :'( :'(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 01:04:50 PM by Maggi Young »

HClase

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 01:50:18 AM »
Why would anyone want that Maggy?  It's a scrawny, unattractive thing with small greenish flowers - at least our E. helleborine is, I believe there are more attractive species.  It first appeared in Newfoundland on the bank between us and our neighbour about 10 years ago and is clearly spreading.  I'll post a picture when it opens in a week or so, there are still a few around that we haven't pulled up!   By the way, the leaf veining pattern in the original picture shows that is must be a dicot; monocots, like orchids, all have parallel veins.

(Living right by a nursery -owner by said neighbour - that imports plants from "up-along" we tend to get a more interesting selection of weeds than most people - including several first records for the Island.)
Howard Clase, St John's, Newfoundland.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 08:51:56 AM »
Howard,
We want to grow it because here it is rare and difficult and protected (and an orchid.)
It is really strange that it has became a weed in north America.
I would like to know why.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal