We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wakefield tulip society show  (Read 18439 times)

Colin

Re: Wakefield tulip society show
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 05:24:49 PM »
Thanks to Mick et al. for pictures and information - fascinating
CSH  North Wales

Per ardua ad astra

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 08:35:08 PM »
Thank you Colin. We are visiting North Wales next week, any gardens we should take a fresh look at?.
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 10:32:36 PM »
I did look at this previously but another look is worthwhile. I really like 'Shirley' and 'Queen of the Night' of course. They'd go well together, perhaps along with Constable Burton. Boysenberry icecream, that one. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Colin

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 08:26:16 PM »
Mick

Bodnant (National Trust), of course, linked with a vist to the neighbouring, outstanding Aberconwy nursery (Keith Lever)

Bodrhyddan Hall, Rhuddlan, near Rhyl (Tuesday/Thursday 2-5 only)

The Garden House, Erbistock, Wrexham

Plas Newydd, Anglesey (National Trust)

Will speak to you at Pudsey - I'll have plenty of tempting, alpine books .

Colin
CSH  North Wales

Per ardua ad astra

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »
Hi Colin
Glad to see you on the forum.
Bodnant and Aberconwy were already on the list will speak to you about the others at Pudsey on saturday.
Cheers
Mick
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 04:35:49 PM »
Marvellous.

But what IS that black and white in the First Prize 12 rectified group?

I am surprised that 'Toyota' wasn't a runaway favourite.

Must look for Eyecathcer.

johnw

I received a message from Teresa Clements, secretary to the Wakefield & North of England Tulip Society who advises that -

"One of the comments in the discussion was about the black and white tulip in the First prize for 12 rectified exhibit, it was almost certainly an Agbrigg feather."

You can always count on the forum on geting an answer!
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 05:24:53 PM »
I thought readers might be interested in the following book review culled from the pages of an Edinburgh and Lothians Newsletter. The author is content for his/her article to be reproduced here.

The English Florists’ Tulip    

Tucked away in the deep recesses of a second hand bookshop I chanced on a slim booklet entitled The English Florists’ Tulip which covers the history and cultivation of fancy tulips by the Wakefield and North of England Tulip Society. Whilst I have never really favoured cultivated forms of tulips, finding them garish and their flowering period short-lived, I was intrigued by this booklet. Indeed, I was so enthused after reading that I was sorely tempted to fire off a cheque to join the society, if only to ensure its continuing existence as a living memorial of our horticultural (and social) history.

Within just 44 well-illustrated pages I learnt about the florists’ flowers of the 17th century – carnation, tulip, anemone and ranunculus – which were then joined in the 18th century by pinks (dianthus), auricular, polyanthus and hyacinths. I also became quickly immersed in the three types of tulip fancy flowers namely breeders, feathers and flames.

Breeder tulips, also called mother tulips, are unaffected by tulip virus and of solid colour and are generally crossed with those with a virus to throw marked flowers with either feathers or flames. Ideally the feathered tulip has markings which are confined to the edge of the petals and these markings can be of a separate colour or colours to the rest of the petal. Sometimes the markings can run towards the centre of the petal and are then known as “beard” markings. In addition to the feathered edge flames or flamed flowers have a bold, broad centre stripe on each petal. Though the flowers, particularly a heavily marked flame, may look bizarre they do have a mesmerising beauty. At competitive shows the flowers are placed singly (on their stems) within brown beer bottles and are judged in terms of form, purity and markings.

It was said during the 18th century by an eminent scientist (who shall remain nameless) that –
   “..these men cultivate a science peculiar to themselves, the mysteries of which are only known to the adepts. Nor can such knowledge be worth the attention of the botanist, wherefore, let no sound botanist ever enter into their societies”.

Well, that statement covers not only florists’ flowers: it is also applicable today to the showing of a wide range of plants at SRGC shows! Anyway let us leave the grumpy scientist to his own views and simply admire the dedication of folk that seek to strive what they consider perfection and in so doing give pleasure to themselves and others  and harm no-one. If you ever see a copy of the book buy it you won’t regret it!

Bookworm

I was reading recently the Wakefield & North of England Tulip Society Newsletter No 21 and noted that serious consideration is being given to publishing an updated version. I'll keep you apprised of developments.

Frazer
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 05:28:18 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 12:05:30 AM »
I thought readers might be interested in the following book review culled from the pages of an Edinburgh and Lothians Newsletter. The author is content for his/her article to be reproduced here.

The English Florists’ Tulip    

It was said during the 18th century by an eminent scientist (who shall remain nameless) that –
   “..these men cultivate a science peculiar to themselves, the mysteries of which are only known to the adepts. Nor can such knowledge be worth the attention of the botanist, (substitute "gardener") wherefore, let no sound botanist ever enter into their societies”.

Forgive me for mixing threads here but that paragraph quoted, could well apply to the notes posted in the Bulb Log No 26 thread, re the inclusion of Dodecatheon in the genus Primula and the activities of taxonomists. No doubt some (including taxonomists) will slam me for such comments but I am unrepentant.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 09:23:24 PM »
I found these pictures which relate to the article above apologies for not including them earlier.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 08:19:58 PM by FrazerHenderson »

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 04:06:04 PM »
Can you help with information on English tulips see the attached link for more information -

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=6412.0

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »

The 2011 Wakefield & North of England Tulip Society Show will be held at Primrose Hall, Horbury, Yorkshire on Saturday 14 May see www.tulipsociety.co.uk for details.

(For those in Yorkshire the annual Constable Burton Tulip Festival will be over the Bank holiday weekend of Saturday 30 April to Monday 2 May)

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2011, 10:10:03 PM »
The 176th Annual Show was held on 14 May 2011 at Primrose Hall, Horbury, Wakefield, Yorkshire.

The Albert Tear Memorial Trophy for the premier bloom in the show went to 'Constable Burton' which had previously been awarded Best Flame. The bloom was grown by James Akers MBE, patron of the Wakefield & North of England Tulip Society.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2011, 11:14:56 PM »
Blimey!  'Constable Burton ' won last year too- wonder if it was the same grower?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »
Blimey!  'Constable Burton ' won last year too- wonder if it was the same grower?

Maggie, last year Judy Baker won with Constable Burton, this year John Wainwright. Two good blooms.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2011, 09:00:37 PM »
Some highlights of the 176th Wakefield & North of England Show.

The show has vase and beer bottle classes (DNT = details not taken)

Vase Classes
1 John Hardman Memorial Class – Vase of 18 Tulips (not English Florist) 1st. Ken Bacon (Maureen)
2 12 Tulips (not English Florist) 1st. Malcolm Hainsworth (T. sprengeri)
3 6 Tulips (not English Florist) DNT
4 3 Tulips (not English Florist) DNT
5 12 English Florist 1st. Malcolm Hainsworth
6 9 English Florist DNT
7 6 English Florist DNT

Open Classes (Bottle)
8 Norman Eyre Memorial Goblet (12 breeders)1stTeresa Clements
9 Needham Memorial Cup (12 dissimilar) 1st James Akers
10 Royles Jubilee cup (9 different breeders) 1st Bob Taylor
11 Local Silver Challenge cup (9 dissimilar) 1st Teresa Clements
12 Silver Challenge Cup (6 rectified) 1st Malcolm Hainsworth
13 GS Hunter Memorial Cup (6 breeders different) 1st Mike Higgins
14 Stages Cup (1 breeder, 1 flame, 1 feather of one colour) 1st James Akers
(‘Constable Burton’ adjudged Best Flame and Best Bloom in show)
15 Silver Plate (3 breeders) 1st Barbara Pickering
16 3 Flamed DNT
17 3 Feathered DNT
18 Pair of Flamed DNT
19 Pair of Feathered DNT
20 Single Breeder DNT
21 Single Flame DNT
22 Single Feather DNT

Seedling Classes
23 Seedling Cup (raised by seed) 1st John Wainwright
24 3 Seedling raised 1st John Wainwright

Novice Classes (Bottle)
25 1 Breeder, 1 Flame, 1 Feather DNT
26 1 Breeder DNT
27 1 Flame DNT
28 1 Feather DNT
29 Gina Roozen cup ( Breeders) 1st Jean Higginson

Extra Open Classes
30 1 Breeder DNT
31 1 Flame DNT
32 1 Feather DNT
33 1 Breeder, 1 Flame, 1 Feather DNT

FR Hunter Cup – most points in Classes 2-4 Ken Bacon
Peter Emmett Trophy for best exhibit Classes 2-4 Ken Bacon
Cochrane of Cults Vase for best bloom Classes 20-22 John Wainwright
Jim Akers Memorial Goblet – most points classes 8-22 James Akers
Brook Silver Challenge Cup and goblet – most points classes 25-29 Linda Chapman
Dudmaston Plate – best bloom in novice classes Jean Higginson
S Knowles Cup – best bloom classes 30-33 John Wainwright
Glass goblet for most points 30-33 Mike Higgins
Albert Tear Memorial Trophy – Best Bloom in Show – James Akers

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal