We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Down Under  (Read 7801 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Down Under
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 06:24:55 PM »
i was very sorry to see this-all the best to your son and family, lesley--hopefully by the time you are back online to read this there will be good news..
cohan

angie

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 11:32:26 PM »
Had to check how your son was doing before I put my head down for the night and I am glad that I did. Its nice to hear that he is okay and also cheerful,  he must take after you Lesley a cheery and happy person.
Do take care like Maggi said and tell your son I am glad to hear that he will be ok and will be able to leave the hospital soon.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 02:04:58 PM »
Lesley, we are so sorry to hear of John's terrible accident. Hope all goes well; your latest bulletin is much more hopeful.
Best wishes to you both, David & Carol.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 05:58:52 PM »
Hi Lesley,

Thank goodness John's injuries are not as extensive or serious as first thought and I join everyone who has expressed so well their hope for a complete recovery.  Do look after yourself Lesley at this stressful time and take time out to charge your batteries.  Thinking of you and hoping your plants in the garden give you solace.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 10:03:05 PM »
I'm having a whole day at home today so can take some time to thanks you all for the wonderful messages and support you've given me over recent days. I have been so buoyed up by you all when it would have been easy to feel down and despairing.

John himself is getting better quite quickly, to the surprise of the doctors but he always did heal well from young cuts and scratches. Monday will be home day I think, though straight into bed I'm told, and my daughter Susan who lives in Timaru will move in for a few days, her husband looking after their boys in the meantime.

So (selfishly) I'll be able to hear Dan Hinkley's lecture tonight and then will quietly die for most of tomorrow, with any luck, if I can get away with half a day in bed to catch up on sleep. 

Kindest, kindest regards to everyone here.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 06:18:44 AM »
Wonderful, wonderful news, Lesley. Enjoy the chance to see and listen to Dan - put the tribulations of the past few days behind you and revel in some well-deserved YOU time.  All best wishes from East Lancashire, where more and more Ranunculus godleyanus seedlings are appearing every day! Now for the hard part!  :D
Love and hugs from the Bookeroos.

FOR LESLEY - HARROGATE SHOW 2010
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 09:24:41 PM »
Thanks Cliff. I'm pleased you have more seedlings coming. Mine that germinated in the spring gradually died off in the summer so I'm without it again, the mother also having succumbed to drought. I doubt Louise will let me have another. But maybe some more seedlings will come through in the spring as they have for you. I wish you well with them.

Dan's lecture was excellent - it seemed not to last very long but in fact was a full hour - with superb photography including video and some digital manipulation to good effect, to show the effects of removing bold-leaved or tall plants, for instance. It was a very funny talk too, in a quiet, gentle sort of way, like when he realized he need not have hired the digital man to remove the spouting fountain from an image. He could have just turned off the pump and taken another picture. :D

One comment I'll treasure. He was asked about his favourite plant/s and replied that he liked everything, in its turn with no specializing in any genus. Said he couldn't imagine being surrounded by a group of people obessed by Galanthus, for instance. Scary, was the term he used. ;D He seemed a very nice man. I hope Suan will have some more to say about the talk and her time with him.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:26:32 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Roma

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 09:59:18 PM »
Good to hear your son is on the mend.  I think of you every time I go out of my back door, Lesley.
Primula juliae with New Zealand friends.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »
Lesley, I send my heartfelt best wishes for your son's recovery. Last year we had a very frightning time after my son was involved in a serious crash on his bike. He was lucky to survive but is now almost fully recovered. My hope is your son will be as lucky.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 10:42:26 PM »
Thank you Roma. The Primula juliae looks very happy with New Zealanders, and I'm happy with mine too. :D

And thanks to you also Anne. I think motor bikes were invented to frighten mothers and wives. I don't know many women who have good things to say about them though there are a few women who ride with their menfolk. John has always loved motor bikes and I suppose I'm happy than he sticks to trails rather than the open road but there are still dangers. At 37 he'll go his own way. ::)

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 10:44:24 PM »
Glad to hear there has been significant improvement in the situation, Lesley, and hope this continues to a speedy recovery.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2010, 05:59:07 PM »
Lesley,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son's accident.  Hopefully in the time between today and the accident he has improved.  I am forwarding to you and your son all the positive vibes I can muster to see you through this very difficult time.

All my thoughts are with you.

Rob
Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »
Thanks so much Rob. We've had brilliant support from the whole Forum I think.

If someone could manage some positive vibes that would keep John off that bl..... bike, I'd be grateful. He's talking about it already. :o

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2010, 10:33:25 PM »
Dan was a lovely, lovely man and an exceedingly witty and charming guest. He has such a broad knowledge of everything in the plant world and he could confirm some of the tree species I have which originally came from China but are not listed in some books. So for us it was an informative visit as well.

I agree with Lesley his show was superb, simply stunning in fact.  I love large leaf plants (as well as alpines and small bulbs of course) and the people that I went with all mentioned that they had come away with a sense of invigoration.  It has certainly inspired me to come home and start ripping out and rearranging a few things.

I see on his website that he is speaking in Bath and Cornwall next March.  If you can - go.

Susan

Dunedin, New Zealand

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 11:59:21 AM »
Glad to hear that John is doing OK.

My own experience in falling off a bike was many, many years ago.

I had come a cropper off my James Comet - 98cc. It weighed about as much as my Audi A6!!!!! ::)

As I crawled to the kerb a passing motorist stopped and enquired 'Are you allright?'

AlLRIGHT!!!!  I am on my knees and feel like - well I'll let you imagine the next bit.

All I can suggest is to insist John buys a James Comet 98cc - top speed 30mph downhill with a following wind.

I am sure John will  appreciate that. ;)

Cheers,
JohnnyD
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal