We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Harrogate Spring Flower Show 2010  (Read 11415 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Harrogate Spring Flower Show 2010
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 01:48:24 PM »
And the last one, a fabulous pot of Iris sari shown by Fred and Pat Bundy

Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
Diane, how tall were the Trillium ovatum var. hibbersonii? Mine only grows to about two inches tall but I believe it can be twice that.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

veteran vet

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »
Time to add a few photgraphs from the show. It was a hot day in Harrogate, 19C outside so in the hall plants were drooping a bit come the end of the day. The pictures are, as usual a mix of red sticker plants and those that just caught my eye or were able to be photographed easily. To save some typing I will group plants shown by the same exhibitor wherever possible.

The 'Big Six Pan' class 1 was one by Ian Kidman who also had the most points in the Open Section. The six plants exhibited are , back row..Primula x 'Stella', Draba longisiliqua, Cyclamen pseudoibericum, Front row Primula 'Pink Ice', Primula 'Coy' and Androsace villosa taurica
The small six pan class was also won by Ian and here, front to back on left Dionysia Chris Grey-Wilson, Androsace vandellii and Dionysia viscidula x freitagii HZ6 and from front to back on right Benthamiella patagonica, Viola spathulata and Androsace hirtella x cylindrica
Primula x allionii 'Durham'

veteran vet

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2010, 05:21:19 PM »
The Farrer Medal plant was shown by Alan Furness
Rhodothamnus sessilifolius and he also exhibited
Saxifraga dipensiodes
Saxifraga pubescens 'Snowcap shown by Tommy Anderson who also had an interesting
Viola lutea......it was not in a good position to photograph so I had to be content with a close up
Don peace won two classes (at least) the first being
Woodsia obtusa and the second with
Arisaema amurense

veteran vet

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2010, 05:27:47 PM »
As usual I took a car load of plants so here are some examples

Fritillaria sibthorpiana
Androsace idahoensis
Androsace vandellii
Hymenoxys torreyana
Hymenoxys lapidicola

veteran vet

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2010, 05:35:07 PM »
Iris pumila JJA 199.590   George Young
Androsace delavayii by Geoof Rollinson and was the best plant in a 19cm pan in the show. Geoff also had on the bench
Primula bracteata, the best Asiatic primula
Salix reticulata won for Brian Burrow the class for British native plants and
Saxifraga andersonii was shown by John Richards

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 05:37:58 PM »
I see George has come in out of the garden as well, so hopefully we won't post duplicates

- Epimedium grandiflorum 'Lilafee' (Julia Wright). This won the class for a first time exhibitor; it would have done well in any class in section B or C. Difficult to photograph though, the delicate flowers seemed to move around even when the tripod wasn't bouncing up and down on the sprung flooring.
- Iris pumila (George Young). Fabulous little dwarf Iris, with the sed number JJA 199.550 (should that be 1999.550?)
- Primula brateata (Geoff Rollinson). Best asistic primula trophy winner
- Sanguinaria canadensis multiplex (Alan Newton). Getting this timed for a show date is always tricky, I'll bet it has shed a few petals by the time it returned home.
- Soldanella hungarica (Wilma and Jim Wright). Soldanella are seen too infrequently on the show bench these days; this one had a nice rich colour.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

veteran vet

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 05:53:33 PM »
there seems to be a problem again in the last post, maybe the server doesn't like two people posting at the same time. However I will continue with a last few in the hope that Maggi can sort it out

Androsace aff muscoidea by Sue Flanigan who also had the best small pan in the B & C sections with
Androsace vandellii
Androsace kosopoljanskjii  shown by Ann Vale
Aubretia glabrecens shown by Margaret Pickering, winner of the most pooints in Intermediate. She also had a nice three pan

Peter Maguire

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
- 2 miniature gardens. These were both in the B (intermediate section) and the first one one a first prize for Michael and Mandy McLoughlin (that'll be Mick from the forum I presume). The second picture is of the entry which came third from Anne Vale (there were 3 entries) and which I rather liked. Obviously the judges weren't impressed (too few flowers? too 'twee'?), but I was overjoyed to see a garden where the patio had more 'weeds' than ours at home. ::). Anne also had a similar style garden with stuctures in the open section, but I forgot to take a picture of that.
- Flower arrangement (Fred and Pat Bundy). They always have a stunning entry of a miniature flowers arrangement at shows they attend.
Peter Maguire

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

veteran vet

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »
repost missing prictures

Androsace villosa congesta Peter Hood
Iris sari  C. of M.   F&P Bundy
Pleione shantung 'Ducat' Ivor Betteridge
Androsace himalaica John Bunn
Gilia aggregata John Bunn
Haastia pulvinaris R&S Johnson
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:39:10 PM by Maggi Young »

Peter Maguire

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2010, 06:05:30 PM »
Final batch, then it's all yours George.
- Calanthe striata (Dick and Valerie Bathe). Another fine Calanthe from the masters.
- Gentiana acaulis 'Arctic Fox' (Dave Riley)
 - 2 views of Daphne petrea 'Lydora' (Trevor Harding)

That's all I took, if there's anything we've missed so far, Martin Rogerson was also wielding a camera...
Peter Maguire

veteran vet

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2010, 06:22:52 PM »
Erythronium oregonum shown by Les Brown....really opened up during the day as did most of the other erythroniums on show
Fritillaria pyrenaica 'Kathleen Hall' shown by Jack Green
ranunculus alpestris by Russel Hall
Rhododendron 'Snipe' shown by Paul Street and
Rhododendron 'Patty Bee' by M & E Linney who also had
Picea glauca ''Alberta Globe'
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:42:25 PM by Maggi Young »

veteran vet

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 07:00:52 PM »
repeat of earlier post with pictures I hope

veteran vet

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 07:09:41 PM »
.... how tall were the Trillium ovatum var. hibbersonii? Mine only grows to about two inches tall but I believe it can be twice that.

In my experience in the garden T hibbersonii only grows very short, a few inches high at most. Grown in a pot given good light but say 'frost protection' overnight in a frame it stays the same. If grown continuously indoors under glass they grow higher (in my opinion out of character) but flower and show well but still in my eye out of character
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:56:29 AM by Maggi Young »

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2010, 07:30:30 AM »
Diane, how tall were the Trillium ovatum var. hibbersonii? Mine only grows to about two inches tall but I believe it can be twice that. 

To give an idea of scale, they were in about a 19cm pot, so I think the plants were about 15cm in height, so as George says, perhaps rather drawn by being under glass
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal