We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula i.d.  (Read 4193 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Primula i.d.
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:30:17 PM »
We have two Primulas here that look identical, P. Hazel's White and P. Harlow Carr. The latter has an extra petal in the centre. They came from Ardfearn.

Are they the same thing?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Primula i.d.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »
Are these forms of P. x pubescens John? 'Harlow Carr' is creamy White with the faintest blush of pink around the edges, a large, rather frilly flower. We've had some discussion about HC before, maybe on the old Forum. It does occasionally have an extra petal or once, for me, threw a double sport. I sold it accidentally though. :'( I don't know 'Hazel's White')
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:47:50 PM »
A quick Google brings up Angusplants who specialize in auriculas. They list both names in the same section (hybrids) but in spite of links given, I can't find either pictures or descriptions.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:57 PM »
Lesley - The book says Harlow Carr is a pubescens hybrid. I can find nothing on Hazel's White in the old Ardfearn catalogues or anywhere else.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:54:29 PM »
I have three seedlings planted out yesterday, of what I received from a generous Forumist as Primula bella. (There's actually a fourth seedling, very tiny, up against the centre of the largest plant but I didn't try to separate them out.) I can't tell from the Richards book whether or not they may be true so could anyone please throw some light? No flowers yet of course. They germinated in 2009 and died right down in the winter but have obviously survived that and come again. The rock beside them actually overhangs somewhat.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:00:18 PM by Lesley Cox »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 10:21:21 PM »
Hmmmm..... close, but not quite right, I don't think.

It's been a while since I saw it but I think the leaves are a little too big and spoonshaped..... have a look at Pam Eveleigh's site to see lovely photos by Jef Lemmens....  http://www.primulaworld.com/pwweb/gallery/bella.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 10:31:57 PM »
Lesley, I wonder if your plant is Primula florida, which has been distributed from Czech seed lists for a couple of years as P bella and/or P nanobella.  P florida is bigger than P bella or P nanobella and if it flowers, fabulously scented.  I've a horrible feeling that mine has succumbed to the cold this year.  Here's Pam Everleigh's page on P florida
http://www.primulaworld.com/pwweb/gallery/florida.html

John Richards has made several comments in his blog about this confusion over the last couple of years, here's one of his entries

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/diaries/Northumberland/+August+/217/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 10:34:37 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »
Maggi and Diane, thank you both for the information and the links. Mine is quite loose in comparison with the pictures but then they are very young and just out of their seed pot. They look a little like both bella and florida but not quite like either so far. Anyway, whatever they are, I'm treating them as infinitely precious.

John mentioned roots dying back to the crown with usually fatal results. I've found that if one can scrape away any obviously rotted material, even if there are no discernable roots, the plant can be resurrected if placed in damp sand, the base just touching the sand, and treated as if it were a cutting. It sometimes works.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
Well here we go again, with some pictures this time as the largest plant (all 4 have survived) is in flower. Looking again at bella, nanobella and florida, it doesn't really match with any of them and if John Richards happens to look here, or if Chris B could direct him, maybe he'd give an opinion. They're all looking good so far and I have fiddled with a thin paintbrush even though there's just the one stem and of thrum-eyed flowers. The colour, is about true as it appears on my screen anyway. The stem is 8cms high.
321199-0

321201-1

321203-2

321205-3

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »
Giles Reed sent me the seed. Perhaps he has some thoughts about it too. You mentioned Diane, that P. florida has a fabulous scent. Mine seems not to be scented at all, except very faintly of the "generic" primula scent, not sweet or strong or in anyway outstanding. There are going to be a lot of flowers on the stem so I'll try another photo when more are out.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 10:13:38 PM by Lesley Cox »

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 09:20:39 PM »
I did take a couple more pictures but maybe it was the day that was wrong because they came out quite pink and wrongly coloured so I didn't post them. They're finished now and no seed that I can feel in the remains of the flowers but the plants are still fine.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal