We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mole Problem  (Read 3178 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Mole Problem
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 05:09:44 AM »
Lesley

It would cost me too much in tea and biscuits for the MI6 officers lurking in the undergrowth and waiting to pounce. I don't think the excuse, I was trying to get rid of a mole would stand up in court :)

David
But MI6 are ALWAYS trying to get rid of moles! :o
 ;D ;D ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 10:23:41 PM »
LOL ;D ;D

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 02:21:42 AM »
I remember reading in old "Organic Gardening and Farming" magazines (when it was editted by J.I.Rodale) that the organic solution to moles was to plant castor oil bean (Ricinus communis) over the runs as it exudes some sort of chemical which the critters don't like.
Never had the opportunity to try it myself, so can't vouch for its effectiveness.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 03:42:50 AM »
But remembering that the bean itself - so I've heard - is highly poisonous so not where there are children. The plant contains Ricin (wasn't that what was used to gas the subway system somewhere in Japan?). But of course the "poison" thing could be a matter of wishful thinking. My mother never dosed me with castor oil but those unfortunates who were, would be anxious not to repeat the experience.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »
I remember reading in old "Organic Gardening and Farming" magazines (when it was editted by J.I.Rodale) that the organic solution to moles was to plant castor oil bean (Ricinus communis) over the runs as it exudes some sort of chemical which the critters don't like.
Never had the opportunity to try it myself, so can't vouch for its effectiveness.
cheers
fermi
I think I'd prefer the mole. Would castor oil plants grow in our climate?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
Would castor oil plants grow in our climate?
They are widely grown as tropical annuals - often used as 'dot plants' in municipal bedding schemes as they have quite dramatic leaves and flower spikes and grow very fast.
http://www.cooltropicalplants.com/Castor-oil-plant.html
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal