We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Saxes from Seed  (Read 1612 times)

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
Saxes from Seed
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:10:55 PM »
I've continued with sowing more saxes this winter and now have a number of pots of different species coming along quite well.  What would be the next step?  At present I believe they are too small to do much with other than let them grow onto a bigger size.   I'm assuming that each little seedling will grow into a small plant and eventually a larger plant after some years.  Should I: a) grow them on for a year and then try to prick them out into individual pots; b) just repot them in the fall into a slightly larger pot and then wait another year before pricking them out; c) let them grow in the same pot for another year and then cut the soil into quarters and plant each quarter into a separate pot; d) do something else?

I've been fertilizing them with half-strength liquid fertilizer 10-15-10 each time I water, but comments I've read on the Forum indicate that I shouldn't fertilize too often.   What I'm trying to do by fertilizing them is to get them to develop a bit quicker than they normally might if left in a poor soil.  I plan to grow these saxes outside in my garden where they will have to acclimatize to our cold winters here in Eastern Ontario - although normally we get enough snow to protect them from the coldest temperatures and drying winds.   I've included a photo of Saxifraga canaliculata that has germinated so far.  Presently, I have them growing in my unheated garage under lights.  Day time temperatures are about 12-15C and night time 7-10C.  The lights are on for 16 hrs per day.
Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Saxes from Seed
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:55:31 PM »
I hope I'm wrong but to me these don't look like saxifragas at all. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
Re: Saxes from Seed
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 05:34:34 PM »
All I'm going on is the labelling that came with the original packet from the SRGC seed exchange.  If they are not saxes maybe someone else might be able to comment on what they are.
Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal