We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Haemanthus, Massonia & Daubenya seed?  (Read 10022 times)

Mick McLoughlin

Re: Haemanthus, Massonia & Daubenya seed?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 01:05:38 PM »
Heinz,
   Paul Christian has some Haemanthus avaiable at this link.http://www.rareplants.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=164&strPageHistory=cat
Don't know if they are the kind you are after.

Regards,
                         Mick
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 01:07:36 PM by Mick McLoughlin »
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

heinz tessner

• Massonia, Erdorchideen, Hepatica & Co.
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2007, 01:30:16 PM »
Hello Mick,

thanks for the link. I have checked it before cause of hardy orchids and Massonia, have not "seen" the Haemanthus. Thanks.

@ Hans

i got my first Massonia as a "like it? get it?" from the bot. Garten of the Ruhruni in Bochum. Lets see, if I find the old contact, maybe another "swap" is possible. Lets see.
This Massonia I got in 2000 (main interest at that time was on Dischidia) . Actually slowly but constantly I got some more. Now I am looking for Massonia habitus like Heamanthus.

Regards/beste Gruesse
Heinz

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 02:00:39 PM »
Hello Heinz,

Not very exciting I know, but I have some seed of Massonia depressa (I think) which I wild-collected last year in September from Nieuwoudtville, Northern Cape. Even though these seeds are quite fresh they took nearly three months to germinate - so don't give up too soon! Please contact me with your postal address: roth@ukzn.ac.za

Regards
Rogan.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 07:31:57 PM »
Rogan, welcome to the Forum! Good to have you here. We would be very pleased to see any photos of your native plants in the wild.... she said, hopefully!! :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 07:26:12 AM »
Dear Maggi and all,

It's great to be here swapping seeds with you all. As you may have guessed by my address I am a South African who's mad about growing plants of all descriptions, especially bulbs, from seed. Unfortunately, I am green with envy when I see the bulbs you can grow so well in far northern climates, my climate is too warm and humid for much of the year to grow many of the things you do (Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal). However, it's amazing what we can grow here with a little bit of trialling and experimentation.

...and habitat photographs - I have many to share with you!

I look forward to many months of chatter and seed exchanging - thanks a lot :)

Best regards
Rogan.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 12:19:20 AM »
As a bulbophile I would like to see bulbs. I was very bad in Kruger and left the car to take photos of bulbs. I must look them up. Unfortunately they are slides
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul Cumbleton

• Pleione Wizard
    • The Pleione Website
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 08:18:29 PM »
A really good source of South African seed is Gordon Summerfield. His latest catalogue is just out and includes a few Massonias and Daubenyas - both of which are some of my personal favorites too! I find germination is usually very good from his seed, and it also has provenance information. You can request a catalogue by emailing him: summerfields@xsinet.co.za

I think I may do the next Wisley Log about Massonias & Daubenyas so check it out - should be ready Thursday 8 Nov
Paul Cumbleton, Somerton, Somerset, U.K. Zone 8b (U.S. system plant hardiness zone)

I occasionally sell spare plants on ebay -
see http://ebay.eu/1n3uCgm

http://www.pleione.info/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal