We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Soil from mole hills  (Read 16652 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Soil from mole hills
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 10:02:13 AM »
No Göte, Clethrionomys glareolus.  Curiously DNA studies showed that they are of German rather than British origin, so it's been suggested (e.g. see here) that they were imported with soil-moving equipment in the 1920s when Siemens built a hydroelectric plant on the Shannon, Ireland's largest river.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: Soil from mole hills
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 05:01:39 PM »
No Göte, Clethrionomys glareolus.  Curiously DNA studies showed that they are of German rather than British origin, so it's been suggested (e.g. see here) that they were imported with soil-moving equipment in the 1920s when Siemens built a hydroelectric plant on the Shannon, Ireland's largest river.
I have got them too but they are a much smaller problem than the Arvicola is. I think I have no problem with them at all. I believe that those trying to get at my crocus and corydalis corms are mice rather than voles. However, I am not out hunting in the nights   ;D  so I am not sure.
Tallyho
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal