We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2010 - Northern Hemisphere- Flowering now.  (Read 56612 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: April 2010 - Northern Hemisphere- Flowering now.
« Reply #255 on: April 24, 2010, 11:29:45 PM »
Lovely things, all and yes, the Paeonia is still very good. Re the snake - not Hosus plasticus?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #256 on: April 24, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
I'm watching to see my Syneilesis emerge like little hairy trolls!  (Assuming they have made it through another winter...)

quote author=Olga Bondareva link=topic=5263.msg149449#msg149449 date=1272086547]
Lori
Is it your native Pulsatilla (it is pulsatilla) patens? It looks the same to ours.
[/quote]

Yes, Olga, it is our native Pulsatilla patens.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2010, 01:37:19 AM »
I'm watching to see my Syneilesis emerge like little hairy trolls!  (Assuming they have made it through another winter...)

Lori - Aren't they fantastic things.   Hope your plant fares well. 

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lori S.

« Reply #258 on: April 25, 2010, 05:29:25 AM »
A few things in bloom here... although now covered in snow this evening.  (Oh well, we are so inured to the wretched climate that, believe it or not, we tell ourselves that we're "grateful for the moisture".   ::))
1) Anemone x lipsiensis
2) Anemone ranunculoides
3) Shivereckia podolica
4) Townsendia leptotes, starting to bloom
5) If Jim Henson was into plants, rather than puppetry, would more of them look like this?  Paeonia tenuiflora 'Plena'
6) Androsace carnea 'Alba'
7) Primula marginata 'Sheila Denby'
8 ) Saxifraga sancta var. macedonica
9) Narcissus 'Ice Follies'
10) A bit of bloom on Petrocallis pyrenaica, planted last year.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:34:59 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #259 on: April 25, 2010, 05:55:16 AM »
nice things, all!
wim-- i also like that taraxacum--i fantasise having this breed with the local swarms and turning the countryside pink instead of yellow in late spring!
john--i have saruma sown(fall), time will tell if i get anything....
lori-- i still haven't managed to find any pulsatilla in the wild--i got a couple of suggestions: somewhere near penhold, but that was a guided walk probably on private property, not my thing, and anyway, i was working, and the other a nature area near morningside, haven't had time to get up there, but sounds interesting-grown over dunes etc ... oh well, hopefully in a few years i will have some flowering here...lol
we had some rain earlier in the day, and it started snowing not too long ago (almost 11pm here now); forecast for rocky mtn house is 5 cm; and it has been such a dry spring that we really are grateful for the moisture! now the grass can green, its been too dry..
 this is still very early in the year to be snow free here--i expect it well into may...

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2010, 06:35:04 AM »
Mark,

I love that kind of dandelions too. I also have T. albidum. Not yet flowering but it won't take long. I didn't grow the A. akaka from seed so i wouldn't know how long it takes from seeding to flowering.

Cohan,

turning the countryside pink instead of yellow would be nice indeed, I might be tempted to try it  ;) (although my neighbours might not agree with another "weed" sowing freely about  ;D)
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2010, 07:25:20 AM »
Cohan,

turning the countryside pink instead of yellow would be nice indeed, I might be tempted to try it  ;) (although my neighbours might not agree with another "weed" sowing freely about  ;D)

i agree, another weed might not be welcome, but i was thinking more of replacing the existing one  ;D--and really we have whole fields and roadsides turn yellow in season from regular dandelions! i dont even want any yellow flowers in my garden at that time (late may./early june, i think)
i don't think farmers care that much--they arent tall enough to interfere with grain crops, and no problem if they are in hay--more nutritious than grass anyway!
i think i need to start eating them too, easier to grow than  a lot of vegetables! and very nutritious..
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 07:28:41 AM by cohan »

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #262 on: April 25, 2010, 09:30:43 AM »
So many wondeful flowers just great to share them with you all thanks. A few more pictures taken yesterday trillium corner is inside what is left of my tunnel a corner, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #263 on: April 25, 2010, 09:57:09 AM »
Ian,

wonderful Trilliums. I see raindrops hanging from your plants...I wish it would rain here too... it's been dry since Easter.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Lori S.

« Reply #264 on: April 25, 2010, 05:07:28 PM »
The chionodoxas are, however our own. The Eranthises are already over so we cannot claim to have the swedish colours  ;D
These are also commercial Dutch stock from perhaps thirtyfive years ago. Obviously they are a hybrid swarm but the usually conform to two different types. Wide petals few flowers slightly lilac. Smaller flowers but several on reddish stalks with more true blue.
 "lucilie" and "forbesii" perhaps??
Göte
I would love to know the answer to this also.  We have a lot of variation in chionodoxa too - large-flowered, solid-coloured blue and mauve, and also those with red or tan stems, white centers, blue tips (sometimes quite dark blue which is attractive).  Rather different habits too - the solid-coloured ones are often single-flowered or few-flowered, while the red-stemmed ones have flower spikes.  Off to google...

1-3) Various chionodoxa
Lori

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #265 on: April 25, 2010, 06:15:59 PM »
- Daffodil 'Changing Colours'. Not an alpine, but looks good in the border and has a most unusual flower
Peter, it's a beaut - how does it change colours?  I'm not familiar with this one.

Lori,
As far as I know it's just a name for the flower. The colour is a creamy-yellow, and perhaps after a few days it is more creamy then yellow, but that's it. The central corolla tube is, however very unusual.
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Lori S.

« Reply #266 on: April 26, 2010, 05:34:16 AM »
Yes, that makes sense.  Thanks, Peter.
Lori

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #267 on: April 26, 2010, 12:06:09 PM »
Mark,

I love that kind of dandelions too. I also have T. albidum. Not yet flowering but it won't take long. I didn't grow the A. akaka from seed so i wouldn't know how long it takes from seeding to flowering.

My single plant of Taraxacum albidum died out last year... for 7-8 years it reliably produced just 1 or 2 pure white flowers, but it did not have any inclination to spread or increase.  I too fantasized about the white one invading the lawn, so at least I'd have two colors of dendelion, but it was not to be. I do have a pot full of T. pamiricum coming along, described as 10-15 cm white.  The other one I used to grow, keep an eye out for this one, is T. carneocoloratum from Alaska, a tiny high alpine species with semi-nodding flowers of an odd pinkish-orange color; an adorable little item.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #268 on: April 26, 2010, 12:09:44 PM »
A few things in bloom here... although now covered in snow this evening.  (Oh well, we are so inured to the wretched climate that, believe it or not, we tell ourselves that we're "grateful for the moisture".   ::))

5) If Jim Henson was into plants, rather than puppetry, would more of them look like this?  Paeonia tenuiflora 'Plena'

Lori, fantastic whimsical look to that Paeonia in bud; I think more like Dr. Seuss star belly sneetch characters  :D
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #269 on: April 26, 2010, 05:33:34 PM »
Here now in flower:

Androsace hirtella
Anemone nemerosa 'Blue Eyes'
Primula auricula 'Lintz'
Primula chionantha ssp. sinopurpurea
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal