We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2010 - Northern Hemisphere- Flowering now.  (Read 55542 times)

ArnoldT

Re: April 2010 - Northern Hemisphere- Flowering now.
« Reply #375 on: May 02, 2010, 09:59:25 PM »
Reminds me of Rocky Racoon.

Her name was Magil and she called herself Lil
But everyone knew her as Nancy.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #376 on: May 02, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »
maggi--who needs to do housework  Grin its almost mother's day--you should have a week off
But cohan, you don't know how many off from the housework I've already HAD!! ;D ;D :-X

all the better ;) i am heading out now to look for caltha, and see if violas are appearing--unless it rains again in the next few...

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #377 on: May 02, 2010, 10:41:12 PM »
Reminds me of Rocky Racoon.

Her name was Magil and she called herself Lil
But everyone knew her as Nancy.
Ha Ha! Yes, it is likethat  ;D

I'd forgotten all about that song...... must quote it to Ian tomorrow to see if he remembers... his Beatles recall is pretty good  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

goatshed

« Reply #378 on: May 18, 2010, 08:18:41 AM »
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I was late to the party, and so pleased to find these only a few miles away - one large stretch of hedgerow that hasn't been razed to the ground like so many. Anemone nemorosa, corydalis solida and scilla bifolia, including a white form, and not far away, some large oxlips, obviously liking it next to a small river.
Creuse, France
-8C (occ.lower) to +35C. High rainfall except for summer.
Free draining gritty acid soil.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #379 on: May 18, 2010, 08:56:33 AM »
Gill, I love your wild scene photos, so pretty and fresh - hedgerows and streams are the best for Spring mixes  :D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

goatshed

« Reply #380 on: May 18, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »
Thanks :) I do love it here, there seem to be so many wild flowers, but the tourist board do call this department "a garden"
Creuse, France
-8C (occ.lower) to +35C. High rainfall except for summer.
Free draining gritty acid soil.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #381 on: May 18, 2010, 04:53:06 PM »
the tourist board do call this department "a garden"
Well, that's as good a reason for living somewhere as I  can think of! :) ;D

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #382 on: May 18, 2010, 06:10:21 PM »
Thanks :) I do love it here, there seem to be so many wild flowers, but the tourist board do call this department "a garden"

garden indeed! a great spring show-all the favourites!

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #383 on: May 19, 2010, 12:54:13 PM »
Goodness me, is there any wonder I never get any housework done with all these albums to enjoy?!  :)

Maggi :

this song is special for you !!!

" If I were a boy "

8)
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #384 on: October 14, 2020, 09:38:54 PM »
Not sure why this one (Magnolia 'Golden Gift') is not so widely grown, given it's smaller size it is a much better selection for smaller yards than most Magnolias, many of which easily grow 3' (1 meter) a year.  I consider this one "ironclad" hardy, it has never shown the slightest degree of bud blast.  One reason why it is might not be as well known, since it does not grow fast, it is probably not as favored by nursery people who want fast-growing saleable plants.  Also, so far as yellow mags go, this one is quite reliably yellow; some of the so-called yellows are very pale yellow to cream, depending on weather.  Unlike some yellow mags whose flowers fade in color, this one starts out charteuse-yellow and turns a warm mid yellow in a couple days time.  I'll have to try taking cuttings of it, as mentioned before it makes no seed.

This cultivar also has decent fall color (most Magnolias are fairly bland in autumn, maybe a bit of yellow), with russet-orange foliage.
Sharing  some  pix from Mark on how  'Golden Gift' is  doing  ten years  on ....

675962-0
Magnolia 'Golden Gift' blooms, mid-May 2020. The flowers and growth internodes are closely spaced, only grows about 6" per year, many magnolias can grow 3' per year.

675964-1

675966-2

'Golden Gift' in 2010

The  parentage is  reported as: M. acuminata var. subcordata 'Miss Honeybee' x M. (acuminata x denudata).

Mark has  discovered  a  single  seed this  year, which he  intends  to grow on to  see  what transpires!  It's  only  the  second  time  he's  been aware  of  a  seed  set.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #385 on: October 16, 2020, 04:33:09 PM »
Mroe  from Mark on the  naming  of this  plant  :
"Use this link to reach Magnolia Society International, then click on the PDF link, an excellent resource to look up most any Magnolia cultivar. The checklist is up to date as of April 2020. The PDF loads in a web page, but can be downloaded if wanted.
https://www.magnoliasociety.org/CultivarChecklist
For 'Golden Gift' it lists:
'Golden Gift' Magnolia 33(1) [Issue 63]: 29, 1998 (publish date)
Parantage = ('Miss Honeybee' × [acuminata × denudata]). Introduced by David G. Leach Research Station of The Holden Arboretum. Semi dwarf, to 2 m in nine years. There are other yellow-flowered magnolia cultivars of the same or similar parentage. Note: 'Miss Honeybee' itself is a selected form of M. acuminata var. subcordata.
There is no mention of M. stellata being involved, but did find a yellow-flowered cultivar involving stellata, M. 'Gold Star' is ('Miss Honeybee' x stellata 'Rubra'), creamy yellow star-like flowers with 14 strap-shaped tepals comparable to stellata.
Back to The 'Golden Gift', the paragraph description finishes with =M.'Sonnenkind' (indicating it's known under two names)... to be continued."

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #386 on: October 16, 2020, 04:34:38 PM »
More  from Mark on the  naming  of this  plant  :
"Use this link to reach Magnolia Society International, then click on the PDF link, an excellent resource to look up most any Magnolia cultivar. The checklist is up to date as of April 2020. The PDF loads in a web page, but can be downloaded if wanted.
https://www.magnoliasociety.org/CultivarChecklist
For 'Golden Gift' it lists:
'Golden Gift' Magnolia 33(1) [Issue 63]: 29, 1998 (publish date)
Parantage = ('Miss Honeybee' × [acuminata × denudata]). Introduced by David G. Leach Research Station of The Holden Arboretum. Semi dwarf, to 2 m in nine years. There are other yellow-flowered magnolia cultivars of the same or similar parentage. Note: 'Miss Honeybee' itself is a selected form of M. acuminata var. subcordata.
There is no mention of M. stellata being involved, but did find a yellow-flowered cultivar involving stellata, M. 'Gold Star' is ('Miss Honeybee' x stellata 'Rubra'), creamy yellow star-like flowers with 14 strap-shaped tepals comparable to stellata.
Back to The 'Golden Gift', the paragraph description finishes with =M.'Sonnenkind' (indicating it's known under two names)... to be continued."

"The 'Golden Gift' paragraph description finishes with =M.'Sonnenkind' (indicating it's known under two names), so using the cultivar checklist PDF, I look up Magnolia 'Sonnenkind', it references the lunaplant.de website, and a link to the German website, and a back-reference "See 'Golden Gift').
http://www.lunaplant.de/

I added to the discussion  including a German Magnolia grower web site, whereby we learn of a dual-naming situation. On that site they list the cultivar as growing up to 2.5m after 20 years, that's only a little over 8', so I measured my tree (16 or 17 yrs since I planted a small whip) and it's 11 feet tall by 11' wide, still a dwarf considering that M. acuminata can reach 100'. "

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal