We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula ID please  (Read 2121 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Campanula ID please
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »
Could anyone help me to put a name to this little Campanula please. Clumps of it are dotted around my garden and are full of flowers and regardless of the attention it doesn't get it continues to flower. The clumps are about 15-20cm high, the leaves are small, and it spreads quite well, but I wouldn't regard it as a 'thug'. The flowers are a beautiful shade of lilac/blue that is difficult to explain. The picture below doesn't do justice to the proper colour.

I have ploughed through my copy of Graham Nicholl's book 'Dwarf Campanulas and Associated Genera' and the closest I can come to is C. portenschlagiana

« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 08:43:12 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Campanula ID please
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:28:40 PM »
I would also go for C. portenschlagiana David !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:44:49 PM »
Hi Luc, thanks for that. It's not always easy matching descriptions and pictures from books to actual plants!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
The "old" name for this is C. muralis - "of walls"- which is where you often find it growing!
The other possibility is one of the old campanula hybrids using C. portenschlagiana as a parent.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 01:45:31 AM »
A lovely plant and picture David.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal