We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Double primroses  (Read 3830 times)

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
Double primroses
« on: March 17, 2010, 06:57:29 PM »
A fairly wide range of double forms of Primula vulgaris turn up in the garden centers here. These are, for the most part, fairly new cultivars derived from Barnhaven seed, not old historic forms. Over the last ten or fifteen years, I've killed dozens of these plants, both in the ground and in pots. They seem to be very prone to rot if overwatered, yet quickly fail if allowed to go bone dry during our summer drought.

Among them, a few have turned out to have staying power. Here's the list of ones with staying power; the rest I find too temperamental for my laissez faire approach:
  • 'Quaker's Bonnet', a genuinely old cultivar
  • 'Sue Jervis', a color I call "ladies' underwear pink", more nearly a beige than a clear pink
  • 'Lillian Harvey', a bright rose color
  • 'Paragon', vaguely similar to 'Lillian Harvey'
  • 'Dawn Ansell', a white; but not as robust as the ones listed above
  • 'Miss Indigo', another less-robust cultivar.
  • 'Val Horncastle', which survived for years in a dry, but shady site under shrubs.

If you want double primroses that will last, try the ones listed and beware all others.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 09:30:50 PM by Rodger Whitlock »
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Double primroses
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:23:22 PM »
All can still be found over here Rodger. 'Quaker's Bonnet' appears to be retailed under Primula vulgaris 'Lilacina Plena' and 'Paragon' I can only find listed (in RHS Plantfinder) as an auricula (plum shading to purple with a light centre). Of those you listed I have 'Dawn Ansell' and 'Val Horncastle'
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:09:31 PM »
We also have an apricot form called 'Sunshine Susie.' I didn't know lilacina plena had another name. It does well here except when it's too dry. Summer drought is definitely a problem but not rotting through over wetness. 'Dawn Ansell' is a jack-in-the-green type with a green ruff around her neck and we also have my favourite, a good clear blue called, usually 'Gretel' but I think should be 'Gretzel.' Others turn up from time to time.

Some years ago a nursery at the bottom of the South Island did a big thing with Barnhaven doubles and listed maybe a hundred or more, not with names but with codes such as B10 or O4 or whatever, for blues, oranges. Unfortunately most of these have now vanished. There were some brilliant things amongst them but too many to keep track of.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:15:02 PM »
Louise Salmond of Hokonui Alpines is on a personal crusade to locate and grow as many as possible of the different alpines and rock garden plants that we had years ago but seem to have lost, through neglect or their becoming unfashionable or whatever other reasons. It is important here especially, as we can't replace them from overseas sources except through seed. In particular, old, lost cultivars of all plants, are truly lost. And the numbers of such plants are terrifying.

I've also lost and can't seem to replace, such basic stuff as Veronica reptans and the gold form of Sagina glabra. These were plants I sold every year in my nursery. Likewise Viola 'Jackanapes.' It's making me depressed even to be typing these words. :( :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:23:36 PM »
Lesley,

It was enthusiastic gardeners searching old gardens in the U.K.
who found old cultivars that had become unfashionable.

Not just the UK, either.  There are "rose rustlers" who find old
roses in cemeteries and hedgerows in places like California and
Texas.

I read a book by a New Zealander who searched out old roses
and grew them with fuchsias.  She inspired me.

So - strolls in flowering season with binoculars and a friendly smile
seem in order.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:55:22 PM »
That sounds like Nancy Steen Diane?

A lot of old roses were found and rescued too, in old orchard and farmhouse gardens here in the 60s before the Clutha Gorge was flooded behind the Clyde high dam. The best stone fruit country in all New Zealand but it had to go under in order to meet politicians demands for "progress" and personal memorials. The same could have been achieved by less flooding, smaller dams and less ego to match.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:08:10 PM »
There is an interest in old cultivars in the UK but unfortunately most are now lost. Someone over here has a brilliant breeding programme. Some of his babies are stunning.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal