We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lunar/biodynamic gardening  (Read 2454 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: Lunar/biodynamic gardening
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2010, 09:23:27 PM »
How about just a simple 'control' bed, Martin, just planting at random times such as we usualy do.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
Hi,

Believe it or not:

http://www.kaykeys.net/spirit/earthspirituality/moon/moonseed.html

people have done experiments.

I'd imagine you'd have to remove all other influences i.e. sow your seed under lights, controlled temperatures etc. Because if you just sow in the normal way the progress of the seasons, changing day length, temperature. are going to be the biggest time dependent influences.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2010, 10:45:34 PM »
.....Another of the many natural sciences that has fallen out of common use in recent times.

Natural sciences ::) ::) ??? ???

Would you prefer "natural philosophy" ?

The natural sciences  might be called earth sciences, I suppose.....systems that are natural rather than man-made...... :D
Maggi - oh dear, I forsee another endless debate. I should keep my mouth shut (or my keyboard inactive). In answer to your question - no.
In relation to your second point, the natural sciences (or the 'earth sciences' or any other sciences or systems) are entirely man made. 
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 11:30:29 PM »
Gerry... gawd forbid we should turn this into a debate about the meaning.....I gave no thought to a wider meaning, such as might be understood in a technical way, I was only trying to express my own feeling about the ancient human reactions and interactions with the forces of nature.... to my mind the action of the moon on the tides etc is a physical effect which can be decribed as as science, in that it is a process....and it is certainly not man made.... that's as far as I meant to go! :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Lunar gardening
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 02:59:04 AM »
I've often wondered about the effect of the lunar cycle on seed germination. The question I have about sowing relates to whether all bulbous species are to be regarded as "root vegetables" as the only advice I've seen relates to vegies and the distinction is made between "root" crops needing to be sown in the waning moon and others during the waxing moon!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Shaw

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 12:01:50 PM »
Fermi, whilst I am quite happy accepting the lunar influence on vegetables, and other annuals, I think it is more difficult to apply the principles to perennials.
 Take the example of Cyclamen. It is a corm so it is a root. We grow cyclamen for their flowers, so, a flower but I also grow them for their beautifully variegated leaves - a leaf. As I am also interested in propagating our cyclamen I am interested in their seeds - a fruit. So, I have covered all four rotational groups (roots, flowers, leaves and fruits) in the one plant.
No, gardening by the lunar cycle is much easier to understand when just looking at one aspect of the plant eg,parsnips being a root or cabbages being a leaf vegetable.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 03:56:04 PM »
I have a very long experience of finding out the reasons for problems in manufacturing plants.
I have found that a good remedy is to put in a guy in a white coat and give him a note board and a pen.
He can make notes and the problem goes away immedietaly. If he is doing crosswords they also go away.
This sounds like a joke but it is the naked truth.
The thing that works is the extra effort. Minor acts of sloppiness are suppressed by the supposedly vigilant controller.

I should think the the Calender thing is a similar phenomenon. My experience is that

A: yes some things work better at certain times. This is because at certain times the plant seed or whatever is in a stage where whatever we do works and that the yearly season is in a stage where it works. However the moon has very little to do with this.

B: Whoever takes the effort of growing things according to a calender will also pay a lot of attention to other details and have excellent results for that reason. This is the problem with many of the "new" or "old" ways of growing things that give such wonderful results. It is not the new or old method. It is that fact that someone puts in an extra effort.

Cheers
Göte   

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

David Shaw

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 06:37:37 PM »
B: Whoever takes the effort of growing things according to a calender will also pay a lot of attention to other details and have excellent results for that reason. This is the problem with many of the "new" or "old" ways of growing things that give such wonderful results. It is not the new or old method. It is that fact that someone puts in an extra effort.
Wise words, Gote.

indigo

• Celestial Healing Light
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »
Answered my own question.  Got the Nick Kollerstrom and due to exasperation then got Maria Thun which arrived yesterday - much easier!  It's actually improved since I last had it.

So, for me, it's Maria Thun every time ;D
http://celestialhealinglight.blogspot.com/
Distant Reiki Energy Healing
Handmade Flower and Crystal Essences
The Emotion Code
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Celestial-Healing-Light/242399842497806

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal