We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Stagonospora infection - collected threads  (Read 114956 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Stagonospora infection - collected threads
« Reply #780 on: February 26, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »
I keep all my new snowdrops in large pots for at least two years before risking them in the garden or risking exposing the garden to any pests or diseases they might have had.  By that time I hopefully have enough that I can split them to plant in two separate locations.
Almost in Scotland.

steve owen

« Reply #781 on: February 26, 2016, 09:35:07 PM »
'(  I wonder if Jeyes fluid would 'cleanse' the cold frame grit and sand? 
You bet.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #782 on: February 27, 2016, 07:07:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for your positive comments - I will not give up as not only have I invested so much money in my collection but I also hate to give in to problems no matter how stressful they are ;)

Alan, the story of your raised bed is very interesting.  I am impressed by your patience and method of eliminating the problem - well done!  I was in the process of creating such a bed but was too impatient and introduced lattice pots with bulbs moved from other areas of the garden too soon.  Several have shown signs of stag and now my bed has been contaminated :(  I spent last night looking at the 'Grow your own Nematodes' you mentioned although I have to admit it all made me feel a bit queasy as I hate anything to do with parasites and predators. I am presuming you are using it in the hope it will kill caterpillars or cut worm?  Would love to know if it actually killed any larvae.

Tim and Matt - I LOVE all woodland plants and have been creating beds using a wide variety of Primula, Erythronium, Hellebores, Ferns, Eranthis, Trillium, Lunaria and many other plants I have collected over the years.  In between them I planted Galanthus in lattice pots so it was a varied display.  Sadly, the rest of the woodland area which is huge has succumbed to neglect and is a mass of docks, nettles, thistles, brambles, dandelions etc and I am sure this is what attracted the Swift Moth.  I was blissfully unaware and just thought I could slowly create new beds as the clearing job is massive.

I have other areas in the garden where I have tucked Galanthus directly into the soil among perennials and some have been growing here for 20 years with no problems.  Some areas the soil is just too heavy - the soil varies around the garden.

In the coldframes they are all very close together so infection spreads quickly so I realise I need to water regularly with a product such as Actinovate to keep them in the best of health until I can begin to split them and plant around the garden always ensuring I have a back up bulb or two.

I have more idea of what I should do now and a plan is in order - now I just need some decent weather to get started. 

Thanks Steve Owen for the thumbs up on Jeyes Fluid - I will make a weakish dose as it can kill worms  :(
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #783 on: March 08, 2016, 07:56:14 AM »
Bayer Garden Concentrated Fungus Fighter

Does anyone think this could help in the fight with Stagonospora?
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #784 on: March 08, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »
Bayer Garden Concentrated Fungus Fighter

Does anyone think this could help in the fight with Stagonospora?

Looks like it can and will kill anything - http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/~/media/UK-United%20Kingdom/CLP%20Approved/2016/Fungus%20Fighter%20Concentrate%20pub%20msds%20aug%2014.ashx   

These chemicals are too dangerous for me!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Joan

« Reply #785 on: March 17, 2016, 08:33:36 AM »
I keep all my new snowdrops in large pots for at least two years before risking them in the garden or risking exposing the garden to any pests or diseases they might have had. 

What type/size pots do you use, Alan?

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #787 on: March 18, 2016, 11:45:30 PM »
What type/size pots do you use, Alan?

Sorry, I missed this question.  I use 3 litre round pots.  The main reason for this is that I do not have the facility to plunge the pots into sand in winter.  The large pot size makes for a greater thermal mass so it would take a longer period of cold weather to freeze the compost in the pot.  The other advantage is that it takes longer to deplete the nutrients so I can get away with repotting about every three years.
Almost in Scotland.

Joan

« Reply #788 on: March 19, 2016, 12:02:36 AM »
Thanks, Alan. 

Bailey

« Reply #789 on: March 31, 2016, 03:50:04 PM »
Not great pictures and am not sure if I can do sharper images,but what would you think and you do if you saw this  please?                                                                                                                                                               Front and back of the same leaf, the second image shows some similar discoloration in the lower leaf,which didn't appear to be there initially.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #790 on: March 31, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »
A bit too out-of-focus, Bailey.  The leaves of a stagonospora-infected plant develop blotches and ultimately look burnt to a crisp.  In the initial stages the leaves are often distorted but I think that can also be the result of physical damage at an early stage of growth so not proof positive of an infection.  Infected plants will have discoloured bulbs with rotten outer scales.
Almost in Scotland.

Josh Nelson

« Reply #791 on: January 02, 2017, 08:39:40 PM »
Have just purchased a large bag of Actinovate as have evidence of Stag/ Peyronellaea curtisii on some of my potted snowdrops.  Not sure of the original source but I bought drops from a number of growers last year so guess I wont know for sure (I know I bought some elwesii and woronowii from nurseries, garden centres etc that showed evidence of Stag or Fusarium or the like that had to be disposed of, so will be more circumspect on that front at least!).

For those interested in buying Actinovate, the only place I found with available stock was the Landscape Store in the US and a big bag was cheaper from their e-Bay store than via Amazon (considerably so on postage - worked out £15 cheaper overall so worth bearing in mind).

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #792 on: January 03, 2017, 12:55:49 AM »
Josh  - I trust you checked the expiry date.  Given the temperatures at which it is active that makes for a very limited time frame for application.  For Nova Scotia that means the month of May, by June they're dormant and drying off!

Got a trial packet in October and it expires this month....               ::)

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #793 on: January 03, 2017, 08:38:26 AM »
I suspect that at this time of year the fungus is not very active but it will start back into growth as the soil temperature warms up.  You might take the opportunity to replace the soil and remove any rotten outer scales so any subsequent treatment will be more effective.  Were the pots in a sand plunge that might allow the infection to spread from one pot to another?  I typically use large 3 litre pots in air.  This is risky in severe cold weather but seems fairly effective in keeping any pests or diseases confined to the pot in which they arose. 
Almost in Scotland.

Josh Nelson

« Reply #794 on: January 03, 2017, 11:39:48 PM »
Thanks John - had to take the risk on expiry as I want to apply immediately and may slightly warm up important pots as I want to try and nip in the bud any further spread...

Thanks Alan - my fault for keeping a load of drops from various sources near each other over summer, with some in aquatic pots out of the ground (I know...let things lapse in my own garden this year doing others; not proud and jolted back into belated action).

Have dealt with a prize pot, one of which one was showing minor signs on leaf and sheath.  All four bulbs looked clean but root growth not what I would like so dunked the three showing no obvious signs in garlic water before repotting in new soil mix and pot; the one showing evidence is still submerged and I will repot separately tomorrow.  It is my own selections I am most concerned about - the named ones can always be replaced (notwithstanding costs of course).  I will off-site(s) some of the replaceable ones to a virgin location away from other drops I have access to and monitor how these do.

Fingers crossed

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal