We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Stagonospora infection - collected threads  (Read 114506 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Galanthus: January 2008
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 10:51:29 AM »
I have seen the micropropping in action and it's happening here in Belfast. There is everything from the minutest slice up to potted bulbs. Roll on the day they, plicatus 'Wendy's Gold', will be hanging in garden centres up and down the country. I promised the man some specials but I no longer remember his name
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gerard Oud

• nothing beats snowdrops!
    • Sneeuwklokjeshof Bucaneve
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 07:04:49 PM »
You dont use the roots for micropropagation Brian! So you wont have problems with fungus or nematodes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 07:08:51 PM by Gerard Oud »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »
You dont use the roots for micropropagation Brian! So you wont have problems with fungus or nematodes.

What I meant to convey was that he seemed to be saying that this fungus was needed and as you rightly point out as you don't use the roots it wouldn't be available.  I cannot believe that Joe Sharman wouldn't know about the micropropagation, so I must apologise for not making sense of my notes!
Mea culpa :'(
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 10:22:51 PM »
Brian, I think you were right the first time... that Joe S. says/thinks that there is some sort of beneficial fungus associated withthe galanthus roots which would, of course, be lost in micropropagation, leading to problems because ofthat lack. Gerard took you to mean that there was a fear that because of a  bad fungus then micropropagation would be affected to the detriment because of that fungus.......
 There, I think I've cleared that up in MY mind..... anybody care to agree with my thinking here?  :-[
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 10:39:36 PM »
It was Joe who told me about the man "in Ireland"

Gerard Oud

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 06:50:05 AM »
Brian the Galanthus from the green, do need that fungus indeed to get the nutrients in the soil available for the plant, its a sort of cooperation like here on the forum (sharing information). If you put them in a fresh other soil, sometimes it takes a while to settle.When i buy in the green, i also do take some of the original soil with me, because its not only the fungus but also the micro-organism.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 08:10:11 AM »
What I meant to convey was that he seemed to be saying that this fungus was needed and as you rightly point out as you don't use the roots it wouldn't be available.... 

This has me confused.  You don't use the roots if you buy a dry bulb or you practise twin-scaling.  Or does this fungus live within the basal plate when the snowdrop is dormant?
Almost in Scotland.

Gerard Oud

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 11:17:20 AM »
Wild most likely sent to shipping agents and I would guess nivalis, woronowii and elwesii. Once in Holland for 3 months they're Dutch - allegedly
If you knew better Mark, me and my colleages here in Holland grow bulbs under strict regulations. After growing at least for one year it gets the certificate Dutch grown bulb. However the wholesale companies in Holland and the UK buy from allover the world and use the certificates from those they have bought from us. If that is what you ment to say its ok, otherwise you are talking BULL Mark and think first before you give a reply!

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 01:21:27 PM »
Lovely afternoon in the garden today - not sunny but quite warm.  A few pictures to share:

Comet (less green on the outer tips than last year - but early once again)
39776-0

Mrs McNamara (surprisingly strong scent)
39778-1

John Gray
39780-2

Penelope Anne
39782-3

Proculiformis
39784-4

Wendys Gold  (seems really early - the other plant is well behind)
39786-5

Lyn (not very special but increases well)
39788-6

regards

John
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:26:14 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 01:41:50 PM »
I said that and was repeating what was told to me when I worked in a garden centre. The garden centre bought direct from Holland and bought buy a lorry of plants at a time. I queried the Galanthus situation with them, the Dutch grower/supplier, and that was their answer to me

I think for the good of the forum as a whole I think major disagreements should be off forum and capitals never used.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 04:17:27 PM by mark smyth »

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »
I'm supposed to be working on my book today and staying off the forum, but...

Mark, I really think Gerard has every right to try to clarify and correct your rather sweeping statements, which appear to be based on hearsay from a fellow garden centre employee (hardly the most authoritative source of information  on the international bulb trade) rather than leave your comments unchallenged on the forum record for all to read and remonstrate with your in private. I'd hardly say it was a "major disagreement".

That's what the forum's for - to exchange information and views. You gave your view, which was sweeping and vague (you said "most likely sent to shipping agents" and then suggested in a general way that bulbs imported to Holland only had to be in the country for 3 months to be legally labelled Dutch bulbs. As a trade insider, Gerard had something to say about that. And quite rightly.

Like Gerard, I think it's unwise to make such sweeping allegations in a public forum on the basis of hearsay. There may well be a lot of wild-collected bulbs still being imported (by shippers of various nationality, not just Dutch) to the UK. But there are also laudable attempts being made to farm bulbs in a sustainable way to reduce wild collection. I prefer not to tar everyone in a particular country with the same brush. And I think that's Gerard's complaint.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Gerard Oud

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 02:58:24 PM »
I do agree with all your saying Martin, we should not talk like a parrot and repeat what we have heard from "others". Thats for gossip forums!
I do grow bulbs for several years like my father did and his father and his father, and as i may say we do have a good reputation. 
I dont want to loose that, because a bad reputation is easy to get, a good one you have to work and fight for.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »
Hi Everyone

I am really sorry about this - I have tried to keep quiet and ignore all the bad karma that is going on in this thread - I even tried posting some nice photos to chear us all up.  Please can we stop being nasty to each other.

It would be lovely to hear and see how peoples snowdrops are doing this January.

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 03:10:20 PM »
John, 'John Gray' is looking very good - nice and upright - and I like 'Penelope Anne' too. Interesting that the former is out with 'Wendy's Gold', mine of which is still just about an inch above the soil, yet my 'John Gray' is well out.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 05:57:07 PM by adarby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 03:11:43 PM »
I agree John. I even butted out to try to put an end to it and let people get back to the snowdrops. But thoughtless remarks continue to be posted and cause offence to other forumists. I'm going back to work and will try to post a photo or two if I can find any snowdrops that aren't mud-splashed with all the rain.

Anne, I'm working on getting an improved Gal. 'John Gray' which will stand up and keep its face out of the mud. J. Gray is a perfect example of where a little imp;rovement through breeding would be very welcome, without creating monster snowdrops.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal