We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Making the Best of It... (Was 'Blog from an Untidy Garden')  (Read 57416 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Blog from an Untidy Garden
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 10:06:32 PM »
Sacrilege to say it but Snowdrops are better garden plants

;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 11:14:37 PM »
Tony, thank you for sharing your garden.   My husband tells people that we are in the 30th year of our first five year plan.  Kind of puts a garden into perspective I feel. 

Susan

Dunedin, New Zealand

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 11:19:57 PM »
Tony, now that you have a new extension on the house maybe you need a new extension on the greenhouse - your family of crocuses etc needs more space (you could adapt the climbing frame into another sort of frame maybe  -just an idea Sssssh  ;D )

Sorry to jump the railway sleeper - this should be post 18b
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:50:42 PM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 11:31:29 PM »
In 2008 we tried to sell up and move.  Not a year for developing the garden.

In 2009 we extended the house (again) which zapped most gardening time.  Planning, organising, deciding, buying, decorating, moving out and back in it seemed like we'd never finish!  

Before we started building there was an 8ft x 3ft railway sleeper frame to dismantle and move plus a similar sized raised bed that neede to be rotated though 180 degrees.  .... Now that's what friends are for - thanks to my mate Alex it only took a morning.

So we go into 2010 at a lowpoint in garden terms although 2009 did have its highlights :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:33:38 PM by tonyg »

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 09:51:16 AM »
Love those three pretty flowers in your last photo Tony  ;D
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 09:50:51 PM »
The garden faces South and the soil is light and very sandy.

Two pluses I think; easier to add humus than dig clay  :P  Sunflowers of all species obviously thriving in your South facing garden and An East and West facing wall is a bonus too  :D

angie

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 09:51:59 PM »
Tony, nice to see the pictures of your garden and coldframes. I have plenty of pots and plants damaged by frost this winter, I think I shall store them in my polytunnel next winter. Should cold frames be in shade or full sun :-[.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 10:52:22 PM »
Should cold frames be in sun or shade?  Well, I guess it depends what you want to put in them.  Most of mine are surrounded on three sides by a low wall so I have sunny, part shady and shady aspects.  (The open end faces North.)  The access frame and its low-level partner by the greenhouse are the sunniest but in winter the low sun only reaches them for a few hours due to the garden fence opposite and a building beyond the end of the garden. 
Bulbs generally like sun in the growing season so the sunny frames are fine.  I cover the frames with shade netting in summer (as well as the top glazing) to keep the pots from excessive heat.   The spring crocus get heavier shading as they definitely do not want to be overcooked!  The pots all stand on a bed of sand (approx 10cm deep, sometimes more) which is usually slightly moist in summer under the more shady frames.
If you are using the frames for rooted cuttings or young seedlings then shading may be more important even in spring/autumn.  I keep seedling dicots in the part shaded area.  Rooted cuttings start off under the bench in the greenhouse before moving on to part shade or full sun.  Seedling bulbs get pretty much the same treatment as their grown up relatives.
You might want to grow petiolarid primulas or shortias (for example) in cold frames.  Down here even a mostly shaded frame may not be 'cold' enough.  ......I have tried, the hot dry summer air defeats them eventually although the dedicated gardener might have shade with mist units to keep the humidity up.  I came to the conclusion that I should have left them in Scotland where I found them :)

angie

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 10:59:02 PM »
Thanks for the information and advice Tony, there is so much to learn. wish I started gardening earlier when my brain was at its peak ::)
Angie :).
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 07:08:57 PM »
You should worry Angie. MY brain is way past its peak, let alone back and knees! ???

Tony your 3 sunflowers are all very beautiful. Give them our love.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 11:49:21 PM »
This little Sunflower had an AGS meeting last night.  Local Group Show .... plus committee meeting after :P
The show is very informal with just a few members contributing plants.  However it is always a good night out with the best array of Alpine plants and bulbs seen in public in Norfolk outside the National AGS Show on May 1st.  Two of our senior members judge and then talk us through some of the more interesting plants.  While judging took place the members were invited to vote for their choice of lecture titles for some of our upcoming speakers.  Mostly very one-sided votes (good!) but a close call between "Morocco" and "Spring in South Africa" will mean that one speaker will have to visit us again soon!  Pleased to announce that the April meeting will be Ian Young on Woodland Plants in the Garden.

I took a few plants along and had some success.  The little silver cup I returned home with rings like a bell when struck with a pencil ... it will return to the meetings as it proved very successful in calling everyone to order last night :D

Pictured below :
Crocus angustifolius.  Bought at Wisley in 1991
Corydalis popovii.  Seed raised many years ago.  One large tuber, kept dry in summer, cool and well lit in winter.
Corydalis schanginii ssp schanginii.  From Janis (via Alan Edwards).  Same routine as C popovii.
Cyclamen alpinum.  Two seedlings.   :) :)
Narcissus hedreanthus luteolentus.  Judges thought it a poor form, I like it!
Narcissus cantabricus.  Seed raised again ... detect a pattern? :)
Cyclamen hederifolium.  Shown in a foliage class.
Lastly Crocus vernus from seed I collected near Wengen a few years ago.  Just one has made it to flowering size and it did not go to the show.  I saved this one just for you :-*
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:58:09 PM by tonyg »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 08:38:47 AM »
Two of our senior members judge

Perhaps they would rather be 'most knowledgeable' rather than senior Tony!  I won't tell - honest.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 09:50:33 AM »
Many congratulations Tony  8)  All your flowers are really lovely and I especially like:

Corydalis popovii.  Seed raised many years ago.  One large tuber, kept dry in summer, cool and well lit in winter.
Corydalis schanginii ssp schanginii.  From Janis (via Alan Edwards).  Same routine as C popovii.

Which one won you the silver bell?

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 11:44:37 AM »
The silver 'Bell' was for the most points in the show.  The best plant in show was Iris graeberiana brought along by Ashley Saddler ... he got a Silver Cup!

Brian, all of our members are knowledgeable .... and most are senior citizens.  Perhaps I should have said 'longstanding' as that is less subjective ;)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 11:56:23 PM »
Narcissus hedreanthus luteolentus.  Judges thought it a poor form, I like it!

Judges! What do they know? :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal