We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Making the Best of It... (Was 'Blog from an Untidy Garden')  (Read 57790 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Blog from an Untidy Garden
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »
Railway sleepers are really a great resource. I used to be able to buy them for around $5 each. Now they're closer to $100! The ones we get are made from Australian jarrah which is I think, Eucalyptus marginata, a very very hard and heavy timber. Now they're also made from Cupressus macrocarpa.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2010, 08:44:52 AM »
I believe Degenia velebitica is short lived Tony - at least I don't think I've been able to keep a plant for more than two flowering seasons...  :-\
But as you say, it does seed out freely - I've got a nice little colony on a slope now that should produce a good view in a month's time !  :D :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2010, 12:59:22 PM »
Railway sleepers are really a great resource. I used to be able to buy them for around $5 each. Now they're closer to $100! The ones we get are made from Australian jarrah which is I think, Eucalyptus marginata, a very very hard and heavy timber. Now they're also made from Cupressus macrocarpa.
Not sure if you are allowed to buy old railway sleepers anymore? I have some at the front of my snowdrop border, but they ooze tar even on a cold day.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2010, 01:03:43 PM »
 It is not permitted to sell old railway sleepers anymore in the UK: because of the contamination from the oozing Anthony describes and the associated carcinogens.
We are told to emphasise this ( the banning of the sale)  on the radio programme.  

Large lumps of untreated wood in the size and shape of railway sleepers are available.... I'm told they are rather expensive.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:05:21 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2010, 02:03:52 PM »
I grew Degenia velbetica from see a good number of years ago and some of the resultant plants are still doing well. Fortunately because I don't seem to be able to grow their seed and they don't self seed for me.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
It is not permitted to sell old railway sleepers anymore in the UK: because of the contamination from the oozing Anthony describes and the associated carcinogens.
We are told to emphasise this ( the banning of the sale)  on the radio programme.  

Large lumps of untreated wood in the size and shape of railway sleepers are available.... I'm told they are rather expensive.
Thanks for reminding us of this Maggi.
I had a choice between 'new' sleepers (untreated) and South African hardwood ones which are also untreated.  I chose the latter which were cheaper.  I was told they are so hard that you need special equipment to cut them, hence they don't need treating ???

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »
I think the special equipment is called a saw Tony? ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2010, 04:38:29 PM »
I was told that my 'mate with a chainsaw' would not be able to do it safely.  They have indeed a saw ... but a special saw :D

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2010, 06:59:57 PM »
Daphne mezereum, a seedling planted out 15 years ago.  For a long time overshadowed (almost overpowered) by an adjacent eleagnus, it has a bit of a 'lean' just now.  I am hoping it will grow back the other way towards the light now that the eleagnus has been cut down.  (A stump remains to be dealth with.)

Tulipa edulis is quite compact if it emerges in bright, cold conditions.  Even in the garden it quickly elongates in mild conditions.

Fritillaria stenanthera, raised from seed sown 9 years ago.  This is the most impressive flowering so far.

Allium akaka will not flower for a while but the foliage is very striking at present.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »
Jarrah can't be cut with a handsaw and a chainsaw is blunted within seconds. So it has to be cut with heavy machinery, industiral type saws. Of course the older, the harder. I've not seen any of our sleepers oozing tar, even on the hottest days. Parts of the road though, that's a different matter.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

angie

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 08:55:20 PM »
Tulipa edulis is lovely in the sun. I don't seem to have much luck with my Daphne it just goes so leggy, wandered if i could cut it back?
Angie
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2010, 09:41:06 PM »
Having seen some stunted plants in the wild with plenty berries I think you might be OK to cut back ... but don't quote me, daphne can be moody.  Mind you, if its leggy and not flowering much you have little to lose.  Someone did once comment that mine was a nice form.  Just luck though since it came from seed.  Perhaps you need to start a few new ones that way and keep the best of them.

angie

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »
I think you are right I have lost some Daphne's in the past for no reason, well one was my fault I stepped back and fell over it and it was crushed to death ::). I think I will give this one the chop as I say its not nice anyway.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2010, 09:38:30 AM »
I cut back a D. tangutica successfully.  It had grown really leggy, was a self sown seedling anyway and I decided to give it go.  It has come back nice and compact, so now I have no qualms about pruning them when they need it.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2010, 10:05:54 AM »
In what season did you cut it back Chris ?
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal