We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Making the Best of It... (Was 'Blog from an Untidy Garden')  (Read 57863 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Blog from an Untidy Garden
« Reply #300 on: June 25, 2012, 01:32:07 PM »
Tony - that's the trouble being a nurseryman, you end up selling all the plants and never planting any out (although it didn't help that the one I did was nibbled by rabbits!). I'm encouraged that our plant might start flowering before long - it is such a beautiful and ethereal blue.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

angie

« Reply #301 on: June 25, 2012, 07:44:55 PM »
Tim I to think the Sophora davidii is lovely, something worth sourcing out I think. Might not grow up here in the cold north though. ::)

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2012, 11:00:33 AM »
Angie - cold is not a problem, it comes from Central China, but it might not get enough summer heat in the north. I wonder if it is grown at The Botanics?
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2012, 11:05:05 AM »
I have contacted the Curator of the Cruickshank Botanic Garden in Aberdeen to ask if it is grown there. (In case Roma's pc is still playing up!)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »
Very pretty Dianthus arenarius Tony, and I think the Sophora is a lot nicer than the normal yellow ones!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

angie

« Reply #305 on: June 26, 2012, 08:40:44 PM »
Angie - cold is not a problem, it comes from Central China, but it might not get enough summer heat in the north. I wonder if it is grown at The Botanics?

Would be interested to find out if I could try it up here. Maggi it will be great to hear what the Curator of the Cruickshank gardens say.

Angie T.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #306 on: June 27, 2012, 09:44:53 AM »
Would be interested to find out if I could try it up here. Maggi it will be great to hear what the Curator of the Cruickshank gardens say.

It seems to have flowered better after winters with real cold here but that maybe just a coincidence.  We were not blessed with a hot summer last year!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #307 on: July 01, 2012, 02:12:23 PM »

I've heard from the Cruickshank: they don't grow that lovely Sophora davidii but they do have a yellow Sophora tetraptera.

angie

« Reply #308 on: July 01, 2012, 11:37:06 PM »
I've heard from the Cruickshank: they don't grow that lovely Sophora davidii but they do have a yellow Sophora tetraptera.

Might be still worth giving it a go, thats if I find a someone that stocks it.

Angie T.

Roma

« Reply #309 on: July 02, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »
As far as I know the Sophora tetraptera is in a pot in the greenhouse.  I did root a cutting but did not get round to planting it outside.  I haven't seen it in the garden but there is still one in a pot in the greenhouse.  It's been cut back a few times so does not look very attractive now.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #310 on: July 02, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »
As far as I know the Sophora tetraptera is in a pot in the greenhouse.  I did root a cutting but did not get round to planting it outside.  I haven't seen it in the garden but there is still one in a pot in the greenhouse.  It's been cut back a few times so does not look very attractive now.

Thanks Roma, I did wonder if it was the case that it was inside.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #311 on: July 02, 2012, 06:31:06 PM »
Sophora tetraptera is the New Zealand Kowhai. We grow it well down here and it flowers very freely - eventually quite a good size; 15 to 20 feet - we have two grown from seed about half that height. It has tolerated temperatures down to -14°C just for a short time last winter, so I imagine should grow in the more coastal parts of Scotland at least. Another NZ species (or hybrid) that I had as a little seedling years ago from Jack Elliott, however, was killed by last winter's cold, so this temperature must be close to the limit.

This is a fascinating genus - there are quite a few North American species from the hot and dry south and west with purple and blue flowers. Will be a challenge to grow! Maybe good for the 'desert garden' at East Ruston in Norfolk.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #312 on: August 13, 2012, 07:17:28 PM »
A belated and brief update.

In the wet and recently warm summer the weeds grow apace.  I'll spare you the pictures! 

We are enjoying our outdoor dining area and I sit and dream after meals of how the area around it might be planted ..... when time allows!

The last of the spring bulbs to flower has delivered its seed.  Tulipa sprengeri, harvested recently.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #313 on: September 13, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
Progress!  Big Progress!  Thanks to a Time Team project to recover some of the lost garden of Hellesdon in three days after the Norfolk AGS Conference.  Thanks to Celai & Ian, visiting from the West, whose generosity (and muscle) enabled it to happen.

Mind you, there's plenty left to keep us busy but we have really turned a big corner this week.  More pictures as it develops.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #314 on: September 21, 2012, 09:52:03 PM »
Very interesting, Cyclamen graecum in the old greenhouse raised bed is sending up lots of flower buds.  The glass was removed in the early Spring and after a cool wet summer I had not expected any flowers.  Indeed I have only once had a flower on Cyclamen graecum in the open garden in ten years.  So how come they are going to flower this year?  Perhaps the few days of extreme heat at the end of July was enough to initiate flower bud development?  Anyone got a better idea?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal