We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Arisaema species  (Read 4427 times)

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
Re: New Arisaema species
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 09:46:34 AM »
"Only fluent in eight or nine, Gail..."

Maggi, ons is almal baie lief vir jou!  :-*
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Pascal B

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 10:08:15 AM »
Great!  thank you for the information.

The flower on the Plant Delights website is much paler than the one in the
book -  both the red stripes and the bright yellow are drastically toned
down.

Is that a result of the cameras used, the book printing, the webpage?  Which
picture is truest?

Probably the one on the PDN site. The plants I am familiar with of this species have a slightly greenish-yellow spathe and don't come close to the intensity of the colors in the book. Several pictures in the book by the Gusmans are slightly on the reddish side which likely is the result of a combination of using a flash and a different colorprofile (Apple profiles usually show up too red on Wintel PC's and need post-processing before going into print). Costatum and utile for instance are a bit too red, at least in the first edition, I don't have the second edition.

It nevertheless is a showy species with broad shiny leaflets and slightly depressed veins and can get big. It has short rhizomatous tubers instead of the rounded globose tubers of most Sinarisaema. It also is poorly offsetting but as far as I know the PDN plants are tissue cultured so virus free.

Attached a picture of one of my plants. Not the best picture I have to admit but it shows that the lines in the spathe tube do vary. The spadix appendix can be either yellow or purple but I wouldn't call this species a clear yellow species, very few Arisaema are.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:33:11 AM by Pascal B »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 10:37:24 AM »

Maggi, ons is almal baie lief vir jou!  :-*

Isthey isey ettinggey idiculousrey!!  ;D ;D

Sorry, couldn't help myself.  I can speak English (or Australian at least) and that is it pretty much.  8 or 9 languages would be absolutely amazing!!  :o :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 10:43:18 AM »

Maggi, ons is almal baie lief vir jou!  :-*

Thanks, Rogan.....I'm pleased my humour also translates to Afrikaans! ;D ;D

8 or 9 languages would be absolutely amazing

Paul, I do know people who are fluent in 7 or eight languages.....  sadly, I'm not one of them.... I was kidding!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:33:42 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »
For those of us mere mortals who are less internationally literate :o.... is there a means of converting foreign languages to English (or whichever language we are wanting to read it in)?

And back to the actual subject of this topic (sorry)...

That's an interesting colour to the flower, Pascal.  Strong yellow, by the looks of it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:59:12 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 11:03:56 AM »
For those of us mere mortals who are less internationally literate :o.... is there a means of converting foreign languages to English (or whichever language we are wanting to read it in)?

And back to the actual subject of this topic (sorry)...

That's an interesting colour to the flower, Pascal.  Strong yellow, by the looks of it.

Google Translate will give you  stab at many languages, Paul... it helps if you have a little knowledge to weed out the wheat from the chaff.... it can be ridiculous at times! Sonme use Babelfish... there are others... all help when working through references to Arisaemas.... and other plants, in languages other than our own.  ;)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 11:08:28 AM »
Maggi,

It's the various asides that we get here on the forum that I am more intrigued by.  They could be saying ANYTHING!!  :o  I just have to know. ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 11:21:56 AM »
Maggi,

It's the various asides that we get here on the forum that I am more intrigued by.  They could be saying ANYTHING!!  :o  I just have to know. ;)

;D ;D It's that natural curiosity about everything that makes us gardeners, isn't it ?  ::) ;)

Pascal B

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 06:13:45 PM »

That's an interesting colour to the flower, Pascal.  Strong yellow, by the looks of it.

Conveying the true color of a flower is always difficult Paul. Each PC monitor shows colors differently and if for instance people don't adjust the white balance enough when they flash the colors don't necessarily show well. Or the camera used has a different white balance setting. Or pictures are taken in sun or in shade etc.... My picture was taken with poor light but take it from me, it is greenish-yellow. Yes, predominantly yellow but with a green tinge.

There are many websites on alpines that look stunning with very vibrant colors but with some I have the feeling they have been too enthusiatic with the contrast and saturation during editing when I know the plants in question and know what they actually look like in real life. Definitely not easy to portray the true colors, either on the internet or in print.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 09:51:54 PM »
Pacal,

Sounds like my monitor is showing it pretty accurately then.... I can clearly see the green.  Still very much into the yellow shades though, and so much better than that awful muddy little flavum ssp abbreviatum that I have/have had here (pointless thing, which I don't think I actually grow any more, although I realise there are apparently MUCH better forms).  Yours looks great.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal