We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Here's a puzzle !.  (Read 8640 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Here's a puzzle !.
« on: November 24, 2006, 08:35:29 AM »
Grown from seed and label illegible.
Looks vaguely familiar however despite going out and viewing it in the last few days i'm none the wiser.Gosh ---this getting old is a curse!!!!.

Flowers facing downwards i suspect ,from being crowded out by an overhanging Paeonia sps. 
While the foliage is flat on one side and curved on the rest, like a D,the flowering stem which begins from the base is fully rounded and rush like.
Any ideas thanks?.
 ???
Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Here's a puzzle !.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 09:14:45 AM »
It looks like a narcissus - if that's a spathe I can see just at the edge of the pic. ::)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 10:19:03 PM »
Hi Dave, is it scented? and if you lift the flowers upright, how tall is it? I can't imagine a daffodil at this time of year, can you?

Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 10:22:25 PM »
And besides, there's no sign of an ovary as there would be with a daff. I clicked on the 2nd image to enlarge it and got a picture of Jonathan Lemalu!!!!! How on earth could that happen?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 01:23:14 AM »
Och, a wee dram too much Lesley. That plant of Dave's probably doesn't even sing.

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 05:53:34 AM »
Could it possibly be "The sea daffodil" Chlidanthus?
cheers
fermi
Redesdale
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 09:34:20 AM »
 Anne --sorry for the delay in replying.I did have a thought prior to opening this post that it might be a Narcissus sps.but was put off that ,so to speak, by the timing of the flowering as Lesley has pointed out.

I used to have Chlidanthus fragrans Fermi ,however don't remember it looking like that,more trumpet like.

Susan --actually i think it can sing because when i walked passed it a couple of days ago i swear i heard the following appropriate lyrics wafting through the air-- "he's being led a merry tune" --followed by --"I'm leading him up the garden path".Smile.

Our Alpine Garden Club has a field trip planned for Saturday, so won't have time until Sunday to have another peek.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Cheers Dave.

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 11:26:22 AM »
Hi ,
Here is a picture from Clidanthus fragrans- this is really a other plant.
Best wishes
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 08:30:26 PM »
 I confine my wee drams to Friday nights generally Susan, though I recently discovered lemoncello which is nice in the late afternoon.

Dave, whatever it is, it looks like a double form of a normally single flower. Where did you get it? Is it one of your (many?) acquisitions from TradeMe? Remember that the Consumer Guarantees Act applies. Or have you been messing with your computer and generated something for us all to worry about? As in Christopher Robin's sneezles and weasles which vanished overnight and his comment next morning was ..."now how to amuse them today." Like the stories you've been spreading around of those giant icebergs. What rot!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 08:32:07 PM by Lesley Cox »

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 12:15:02 AM »
Lesley.Not a Trademe purchase.I haven't had a spendup on that website for a while now.As a result i'd expect their profits will be down significently this quarter . :D

Foliage/flowers have no scent.Will dig up a bulb this weekend .

I was watching Shrek on TV.(the infamous sheep who was rounded up a couple of years ago from the wild so to speak after many ,many years of freedom in Central Otago.--'Two Ton' i call him because of the weight his fleece must have been when they finally sheared him!!!).Well his owner and the NZ Wool Board ? had flown him out on to an iceberg to be sheared again as part of an advertisement campaign.The chap being interviewed commented they had just landed and unloaded ,(i saw two helicopters in the wider shot),when there was an almighty crash as a large slice of rotten ice departed off the side of the berg.
So i'd have to agree with you when you talk above about there being rot. ::)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 11:50:00 AM »
Dave,

It isn't something along the lines of a double form of Caltha or something like that is it?  I am trying to remember the foliage but can't for the life of me right now.  The flower to me definitely resembles one of the double types of a usual "single" flower like the marsh marigolds etc. 

Definitely not Chlidanthus, as Hans said.  His pics were spot on.  I had that flower a couple of years ago and it was amazing the long tube on the flower etc.  Totally unlike anything else I have come across.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 11:57:53 AM »
This has got a lot of us puzzled! The flowers are saying narcissus, except for the lack of pedicel and ovary, and so are the leaves, really. Very odd!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 05:08:19 AM »
Hello Paul--Welcome back matey.No it's not a Caltha.

Here is a shot of the bulb followed by foliage with the flowers gone.
Looks like a Narcissus to me.
I'll guess we'll have to wait till next spring for better pics of the flowers to get a more definitive ID.

Cheers Dave

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 11:39:29 AM »
Dave,

Nah, Caltha have big flat leaves when I think about it.  It DOES look like a Daff, except that there is no ovary below the flower.  That is REALLY weird.  If it had just been one flower I would have thought it was just a defective flower, but we can clearly see at least 2 flowers i nthe first pics, and neither have the ovaries there.  Strange!! ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 08:48:24 PM »
Surely the bulb colour is wrong Dave, for a Narcissus? I wouldn't say this to John F but have you had a sniff at the bulb? Daffodils, all of them, have a very distinctive smell in the bulb itself, not very pleasant. And can you break a leaf to see if it has that slimy excretion that all daffs have? If it doesn't and if the bulbs doesn't smell right, I'd forget Narcissus.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal