We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2010 Northern Hemisphere  (Read 34657 times)

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
March 2010 Northern Hemisphere
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:14:38 PM »
Today a bit of sunshine .Dionysia zschumeli was happy with this extra heat and start to flower .
This one wait exactly until the first of this new month.
Next days again some frost and cool nights. But during daytime it is warm enough in my greenhouse.
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: March 2010 Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 08:58:53 PM »
A beautiful plant Kris. I hope you will show many more this month.

Also I hope that you and our other Belgian friends have not been too badly affected by recent weather and storms in Belgium. What an appalling winter the northern hemisphere has had this season. Hopefully it will soon be at an end.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 09:08:42 PM »
Today a bit of sunshine .Dionysia zschumeli was happy with this extra heat and start to flower .
This one wait exactly until the first of this new month.
Next days again some frost and cool nights. But during daytime it is warm enough in my greenhouse.

Kris, a gorgeous plant!  On days when I'm feeling down, I like to go to the following link and just feast my eyes on fantastic Dionysia species.
http://www.dionysia4u.com/index.htm

I have only grown 1 Dionysia, the one most frequently available in the various SEEDEXs, D. involucrata.  Many years ago from the SRGC or the AGS (can't remember now), I received one seed (yup, just one seed), which I dutifully sowed, it germinated, and I got it to flower.  Of course that species is not nearly as attractive as most of its kin.

Thanks for showing... it is time to go look at the Dionysia pages again :)
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:26:15 PM »
A beautiful plant Kris. I hope you will show many more this month.
Also I hope that you and our other Belgian friends have not been too badly affected by recent weather and storms in Belgium. What an appalling winter the northern hemisphere has had this season. Hopefully it will soon be at an end.
Thanks Lesley .We are lucky that the storm more or less weakened when he (or is it she?)arrived...
There is some damage but compared with France and some other countrys we are lucky .
This is strange winter.I can't remember it was snowing so often here in the past.Februari was a gloomy month.
We had no sunshine at all and therefore this month brook another record :-[
Next period  -after a warmer period-again some frost during night .But at last they promised some sunshine to and that is what we need for plants to flower like this Dionysia  .
I have only few but hopefully can you show other alpines...

Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:56:12 PM »
Kris, a gorgeous plant!  On days when I'm feeling down, I like to go to the following link and just feast my eyes on fantastic Dionysia species.
I have only grown 1 Dionysia, the one most frequently available in the various SEEDEXs, D. involucrata.  Many years ago from the SRGC or the AGS (can't remember now), I received one seed (yup, just one seed), which I dutifully sowed, it germinated, and I got it to flower.  Of course that species is not nearly as attractive as most of its kin.
Thanks for showing... it is time to go look at the Dionysia pages again :)
I am always humble again when I look to this  pages Mark .
I try to grow some Dionysias but my problem is the summer.I have a greenhouse and not an alpine house.
I build this greenhouse in 1985 and first I used it for vegetables.Next came the cacti and succulentcollection.They still been there at this moment but they have to tolerate  companionplants during the past years .First Cyclamen ,next alpines and so on.Now I have an idea to make compartments...
Because it is a greenhouse and not an alpinehouse I have serious problems with heat in summer.     

Anyway great result with your Dionysia !One seed and one plant ,it is rather unusual I think ....
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
The first Anemone popped its head out today.

Anemone blanda

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 03:20:30 AM »
That's a beauty Michael. They are all lovely but I like the rich blues best of all.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 06:48:22 AM »

I have only grown 1 Dionysia, the one most frequently available in the various SEEDEXs, D. involucrata.  Many years ago from the SRGC or the AGS (can't remember now), I received one seed (yup, just one seed), which I dutifully sowed, it germinated, and I got it to flower. 
Wow, Mark, 100% germination! :o
 ;D ;D ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 05:53:25 PM »
Just from today
Ranunculus cyprius ssp. cadmicus

and shrubby Viola scorpiuroides from Crete - scented but unfortunately less flowers than in nature

Gerd
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:57:10 PM by Gerdk »
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 07:05:04 PM »
Just from today

and shrubby Viola scorpiuroides from Crete - scented but unfortunately less flowers than in nature

Gerd

cool plants, both of these!

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 07:07:29 PM »
Against all expectations, my Coris monspeliensis from the Cabo de Gata region (SE-Spain) has unexpectedly decided to make flower buds in my living room! This is a wonderful plant. Rather looking like a member of the Mint family, in fact it is a (monotypic genus) representative of the Primulaceae. Not too common in culture, and growing very well in captivity. Beautiful flowers! and it is easily propagated from cuttings!

Pictures from a plant in the field (also Cabo de Gata region) and from the buds of my plant...I'll take pictures once the flowers are out.

NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »
Against all expectations, my Coris monspeliensis from the Cabo de Gata region (SE-Spain) has unexpectedly decided to make flower buds in my living room! This is a wonderful plant. Rather looking like a member of the Mint family, in fact it is a (monotypic genus) representative of the Primulaceae. Not too common in culture, and growing very well in captivity. Beautiful flowers! and it is easily propagated from cuttings!

Pictures from a plant in the field (also Cabo de Gata region) and from the buds of my plant...I'll take pictures once the flowers are out.

you may have the only dutch livingroom with such plants! good work!

krisderaeymaeker

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Just from today
Gerd

Very unusual plants Gerd .Thanks for showing .
Kris De Raeymaeker
Belgium

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 08:31:30 PM »

I have never heard of this plant, it is one of the most fantastic plants I have ever seen, thanks for introducing us to it.  Can I assume it is a tender plant or can you grow it outdoors?

Found a couple photo links of plants in the wild, although they don't look nearly as good as your plants:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coris_monspeliensis_subs.monspeliensis_1265.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coris_monspeliensis_re.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Coris_monspeliensis-Calblanque.jpg
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:40:38 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Klaas

• Greek Mountain Flora
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 09:16:52 PM »

Thank you Mark,

Again, I would like to invite everyone who has pictures of Dionysia in the wild to share those on my website to make it
an even bigger feast for you and others....

Regards, Klaas.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal