We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sternbergia 2010  (Read 21891 times)

Herminarik

Re: Sternbergia 2010
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 05:09:35 PM »
Hallo Gerry, your Sternbergias are really wonderful, we have only two plants of Sternbergia candida (we received only a few years ago). One of them should to flower in a few next days (we are very wondering). Together with S. candida we grow St. fischeriana and I attache the pictures from today morning. Igor & Pavlina

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 05:44:03 PM »
Hallo Gerry, your Sternbergias are really wonderful, we have only two plants of Sternbergia candida (we received only a few years ago). One of them should to flower in a few next days (we are very wondering). Together with S. candida we grow St. fischeriana and I attache the pictures from today morning. Igor & Pavlina

Hello Igor,  some very promising buds there.    I'm posting here, because I received Sternbergia fischeriana back in 2000, and for the first 3-4 years it flowered well.  Then it stopped flowering, only putting up leaves.  I read in your contribution to the International Rock Gardener Feb. 2010 that you have to plant the bulbs very deep.  Maybe mine aren't planted deeply enough.  If they come up again this year, I will replant them much deeper.  I have uploaded a photo taken in April 2001.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Herminarik

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 06:04:44 PM »
Hi Mark, that`s my experience. I received (12 years ago) a single bulb form Potterton & Martin Nursery. At the beginning I did the same fault you write -I planted the bulb quite shallow. But if you have a book form Brian Mathew "The smaller bulb", you can read that St. fischeriana "need planting deeply (at least 15 cm)". I did it and I have no problem with flowering (see the picture here below - also from today morning). Igor

Gerry Webster

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 08:36:53 PM »
Hi Igor- Your S. fischeriana is very impressive. I don't grow it. There seems to be disagreement about how deeply Sternbergias should be planted. Like Pauli, all mine are planted fairly shallowly. My impression, based on the species I grow, is that heavy feeding when in growth & high temperatures when dormant are important in promoting flowering. This works well with S. sicula, S. lutea & S. greuteriana. However, I have not yet persuaded S. clusiana to flower. Under my conditions I suspect that deep planting would not encourage summer ripening.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Herminarik

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 09:32:42 PM »
You are right Gerry, the summer ripening is very important for this species too. That’s quite difficult (but not impossible) to find a compromise between the optimal depth of planting and the summer ripening. We have two ways for that: first one – we cover the bed at the beginning of summer with the old windows (we avoid also of the excessive moister in summer), or we take the bulbs out of bed and we keep them in the room all the summer. And there is any other reason, why we have to plant our Sternbergia deeply – every year in winter we have at least one week with great frost here. And the deeply planting is one of the way how to avoid the lost of Sternbergia species in winter. Cheers Igor

Gerry Webster

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2010, 09:40:30 AM »
That's a very fine display of S. lutea Igor. Congratulations!.

I don't get severe frosts here, so no losses in winter. However I'll try planting some bulbs deeper & see what happens.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 07:25:45 AM »
The autumn Sternbergias have started here in Central Victoria!
Sternbergia sicula
200736-0

200738-1

And S. lutea
200740-2

200742-3

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 03:04:44 AM »
Fermi ,
    this is the S. sicula col. by Alan Edwards in Selia Gorge ,Crete , in flower now in my garden ,

Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »
Fermi ,
    this is the S. sicula col. by Alan Edwards in Selia Gorge ,Crete , in flower now in my garden ,

Otto.
Alan has a very good eye for a very good plant.  I think this is one of the best forms of sicula around.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 06:25:57 PM »
Fermi ,

Otto.
Alan has a very good eye for a very good plant.  I think this is one of the best forms of sicula around.
I was just thinking the very same thing, Art!

Otto, some of your Narcissus are flowering here! Ferdi is soooooo cute! Thankyou!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 10:26:42 PM »
Fermi ,

Otto.

Hi Otto,
if that is the one you gave me a few years ago it is half way in size between the S. sicula (from Rannveig Wallis) and the S. lutea; it will be in flower soon.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Herminarik

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2010, 09:57:29 PM »
Hi, we were looking for quite a long time an appropriate commentary for this picture. Finally we founded this pathetic words “Hail, oh life giving sun we love so much”. Or has anybody the other idea how to comment this spring blooming beauty? Igor and Pavla

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2010, 10:00:28 PM »
Igor, exquisite photo!
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 05:18:58 PM »
Hi, we were looking for quite a long time an appropriate commentary for this picture. Finally we founded this pathetic words “Hail, oh life giving sun we love so much”. Or has anybody the other idea how to comment this spring blooming beauty? Igor and Pavla
What about ' why won't it flower for me' ?. I have grown it for several years but not a flower as yet. No trouble with any others, must be me not the plant.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Stone Rider

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 06:18:58 PM »
Sternbergia candida

Never very free flowering with me, there are 4 more flower buds waiting to open. Better than usual.
I admired marvelous clump of this Turkishe odalisque in the garden of Kelaidis family in Denver (back yard). But Panayoti divorced with Gwen and in this way he divorced with Sternbergia candida. I would like to try it in my hot garden in Bohemia one day. Sternbergia lutea is Qeen of Autumn there.
ZZ

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal