We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sternbergia 2010  (Read 21837 times)

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
Re: Sternbergia 2010
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2010, 03:48:18 PM »
Today Sternbergia fischeriana surprised with a flower - quite early.

What a pleasent surprise!
It is nice to see Sternbergia in flower again after the winter pause. We have lots of snow here, and I have not been in my green house for about a week. After seeing your picture, I realized it was time to check the green house to watch for flower buds in my fischeriana. No flower buds, only leaves so far. But in my candida pot 4 flowerbuds was visible!

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2010, 06:40:37 PM »
Thanks Fred and Poul!
Hope to see first pictures of S. candida here soon.
S. fischeriana one week later and still flowering. Seems some Sternbergia easier germinate next to mature plants than in pots.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:44:06 PM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »
Good to  see these, Hans, but I just saw a weather forecast that says you may be getting a lot of snow soon in your Islands........ better be careful........ :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2010, 07:25:39 PM »
Thanks Maggi - we had some snow in the mountains and also in the lower parts we had temperatures of about 0ºC in the lower parts of the island, but actually the temperatures are rising (7 to 17ºC for the next days). :)
10a  -  140nn

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2010, 06:04:47 AM »
Thanks Fred and Poul!
Hope to see first pictures of S. candida here soon.
S. fischeriana one week later and still flowering. Seems some Sternbergia easier germinate next to mature plants than in pots.

Hans,
No doubts where these seedlings come from. Nice to see so full seedpods.
I have luck with pollination too. There are seed pods in lutea, different sicula clones, greuteriana and colchiciflora. That is promising for the new season.
As mentioned earlier candida have shown flower buds. I have not so many interresting pics to show, but here is a few from my green house and a single from my garden.

1. Sternbergia sicula seed pods
2. Sternbergia Dodona Gold
3. Sternbergia greuteriana
4. Sternbergia candida flower buds
5. Sternbergia lutea in snow

With that I will wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

kelaidis

• http://prairiebreak.blogspot.com/
    • Denver Botanic Gardens blog
« Reply #170 on: February 20, 2011, 08:53:48 AM »
I realize it's been some time since Zdenek made reference to my being "divorced": but I do want to emphatically stress that I am not divorced from my Sternbergia candida: It is blooming today (as I type this). I moved the plants from Eudora when we sold that house to my current home on Quince, and they seem to like the site quite well...although not as well as they like my friend Bill Adams' home in Pueblo where the attached images were taken...
Senior curator at Denver Botanic Gardens, I have rock gardened for over 50 years. Faves include cushion plants, bulbs, troughs, South African and Mediterranean plants and the windy steppes of Asia. The American West. (Oh yes, I love cacti, ferns and woody plants too...)

kelaidis

« Reply #171 on: February 20, 2011, 05:59:42 PM »
When I alerted Bill that I was posting this, he sent me the attached pix of the same clump a few weeks later (it was still 2010--so the date is OK on this)...I suppose this could be a futile post since we are in 2011 and you all may be discounting older postings...
Senior curator at Denver Botanic Gardens, I have rock gardened for over 50 years. Faves include cushion plants, bulbs, troughs, South African and Mediterranean plants and the windy steppes of Asia. The American West. (Oh yes, I love cacti, ferns and woody plants too...)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 06:12:53 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2011, 09:54:32 PM »
I'm speachless  :o :o
simply wonderfull
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

PeterT

« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »
Congratulations to Bill!
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2011, 10:28:49 PM »
Breathtaking! :o
10a  -  140nn

kelaidis

« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2011, 11:04:41 PM »
Aha! People on the SRGC actually DO check up on old threads! Glad to share Bill's triumph with all of you. His garden is full of treasures like this, and he is busy propagating and sharing his treasures with others. I like to think that Bill is one of my closest friends: I derive great pleasure from his company and seeing the many gardens he has created around his house and all over the town of Pueblo--one of Colorado's oldest and really nicest towns I think (although I may be swayed by the fact that he lives there!). He consistently brings some of the rarest and most wonderful plants to our rock garden club sales, and he has a great eye for novelties.

I was delighted that Maggi found those old nuggets about him (do you miss anything?)....

I'm writing from the 11th floor of the Sheraton Towers in downtown Seattle: tomorrow I judge their flower and garden show: almost as tough as the time you all made me judge a show in Stirling! I take that back: you Scots are much harder to judge!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal