We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione Spring 2010..... to July!  (Read 66884 times)

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
Pleione Spring 2010..... to July!
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:57:43 PM »
Have we got a thread for this already? Couldn't see one, so I've started this...here's a nice form of P. humilis today, which has particularly deep red markings.

Alex

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
Re: Pleione Spring 2010..... to July!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 02:45:08 PM »
Alex - fantastic lip of P. humilis. I've never seen so painted humils so far. In Czech is still deep winter. Last night was -12°C  >:(.
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

Hristo

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:42:42 PM »
Very nice start to 2010 Alex, I'm currently watching Pleione 'Orinoco' and Pleione 'Eiger' to see who will flower first with me, they are very close now, no doubt due to their humilis heritage.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

luis

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 05:14:58 PM »
My first pleione to flower was Zeus w. desert sands, two days ago  :). Your pleione is fantastic!

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 04:43:44 PM »
A wonderful form of P. humilis Alex !!!
Very nice indeed !  :D
Depending on the weather (still quite cold here) I guess I'm still a couple of weeks away from my first flowers...  :(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Pete Clarke

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 08:39:47 PM »
Pl. forrestii is my first to flower. This one is recently acquired but my other forrestii's are not far behind and are well ahead of Eiger.
Do others find forrestii flowers early?
Birmingham, Midlands, UK

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 08:42:22 PM »
Looking good Pete !!
I don't grow them at the moment... not by the lack of trying  :'( :'(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Eric Locke

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 09:18:28 PM »
Pl. forrestii is my first to flower. This one is recently acquired but my other forrestii's are not far behind and are well ahead of Eiger.
Do others find forrestii flowers early?

Hi Pete

Mine are well behind yours and I guess it will be the end of Feb at the earliest before the first.
Humilis are behind with me too this year as I often have them starting around Xmas time and the first this year should be in about a week with my earliest hybrid Rakata "Rock Dove" not far behind.

Eric

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 09:37:46 PM »
Hi Pete

Nice forrestii picture. Some of mine are a week away at least.

David

Pete Clarke

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 10:04:40 PM »
Hi David. This was one you sent me & I have kept it in a cold unheated greenhouse. Strange how they behave in other people's hands.
Birmingham, Midlands, UK

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 10:56:03 PM »
Hi Pete

Mine were in a dark cold garage until two days ago but everything is now in the greenhouse but I've put a paraffin heater on very low overnight just in case we get some frost. Need a larger greenhouse again now as every inch of space is used :)

David

Maxime_P

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 12:03:41 AM »
Lucky you !!  ;D

Very nice blossoms  8)

Only Pleione forrestii has a bud right now, even Pleione humilis is still in dormancy; it's still cold at night (-10°C a few days ago) and snowy the day here.
Maxime

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 11:26:57 AM »
Never had any sudden deaths with Forrestii and all bulk up quite well for me producing nice good sized bulbils as well. Flowering them can be a little tricky with sudden temp/humidity changes at this time of the year. Never had any late flowering ones either and find Forrestii are always amongst the first to flower just after Humilis. Nice to see the bright yellow after a dull and grey winter in the greenhouse. This year my Humilis seem to be way behind with most not showing any life at all, yet!

I have noticed a big difference between my bulbs and the new arrivals I've had from Butterfields. I think mine are kept colder and for longer as his bulbs look more advanced than mine overall.

David

Pieter

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 11:56:36 AM »
I had the same problem as Rob with P. forrestii. After three years of slow increase I saw my bulbs just sitting their in the pot. Healthy looking FS-bulbs that didn't show any signs of live. They just went dead. Is there any explenation for this?

So it will not be forrestii to be the first to flower with me. At this moment Shantung 'Ducat' shows the most growth but it is still to much winter to really get goiing. Last night -2°C and a bit of snow.

Greetings

Pieter
Oedelem, Belgium

Hristo

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 01:25:49 PM »
Looks like I may flower forrestii for the first time this year, it aborted its flowers in 2009. It produced good pseudobulbs last year, but I always had the sense that it was looking for any excuse to stop growing! Maybe just me anthropomorphosising?
New to me and the winner by a day or two to the first to flower here is Pleione 'Eiger'
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal