We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 16/05/'07  (Read 3575 times)

Paddy Tobin

Bulb Log 16/05/'07
« on: May 16, 2007, 10:19:31 PM »
Ian,

Your paving slab raised beds seem to have been a great success. My initial impression, from your comments during the past week, was that they would look very 'boxy' but you have overcome that by building beside them to disguise the bulk of the slab beds.

Despite my admiration of your success with the slab raised beds I think the shallow stone troughs are just the thing, really good ones. Are these the ones you made yourself? If so, how did you go about it?

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Bulb Log 16/05/'07
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 11:37:24 PM »
Fiendishly difficult to make these ones Paddy. :o I seem to remember something about flame throwers and hot knives, but enough about keeping Maggi focussed on this Saturday. ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 09:47:09 AM »
Well, I've just about stop chuckling now, Anthony. Thanks for that, an excellent stress reliever! It's not all Beer and Skittles, sitting here trying to persuade folks from a' the airts and pairts to send some plants to the show! There's a fair amount of Crabbies Green Ginger and Maltesers involved ,too. 8)

The rather smart ( yes, we are pretty pleased with them, too) granite troughs that Paddy mentions  were made by Ian using discarded flagstones from the streets of Aberdeen. Being made of granite, these flagstones tend to be rather deeper than such things would ordinarily be and so afford enough depth to allow their conversion to a shallow trough. This is indeed a tricky business, since they are not of even depth and granite is tough stuff! Ian will doubtless explain his technique with these in a later log. Suffice it to say, it is unwise to challenge the bearded skinny one to an arm-wrestling contest!

Off now to purchase supplies for the show....tea, coffee .... enough ingredients for many gallons of home-made soup... just the usual Show Secretary stuff! Wish I'd asked Fermi if he can cook !
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:22:15 AM »
Ian --I have a similar Zigadenus as yours which was raised from seed as Z. fremontii .However i'm no authority and a quick google search shows fremontii as your pic as well as variations where the flower colour is fully yellow. :-\

At the stage where the numerous side stalks holding immature flowers are all still together in a tight cluster reminds me some what of a Camassia sps.

Cheers  Dave.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:25:27 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 05:34:50 PM »
Yes, Dave, we do have Zigadenus fremontii... but I didn't think this one was that! They are fairly similar :P

As to the resemblence to Camassia... which of course, the native Americans used to eat, the Zigadenus are called "Death Camas".... bit of a clue there, methinks!

If you are correct, and why wouldn't you be, then this is fremontii and the other, not out yet, or even flowering size, I think, is most likely Z. nuttallii... unless, it is Z. elegans!! ???
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 06:53:18 PM »
Paddy as Maggi has already said those troughs are carved from granite.
This involved cutting around the hole with a stone cutting disc saw and then a lot of hard work carving out everything inside that cut line with the trusty hammer and chisel I showed in the log.
Nothing as easy as a flame thrower and a hot knife Anthony.
Ah Dave, Z.fremontii does ring a bell now you mention it, thanks.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 12:04:03 AM »
Off now to purchase supplies for the show....tea, coffee .... enough ingredients for many gallons of home-made soup... just the usual Show Secretary stuff! Wish I'd asked Fermi if he can cook !

I don't know about cook Maggi, but he sure can eat!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 08:33:15 AM »
In the garden of Dr Oldrich Maixner he had loads of stone troughs, many he had made himself by cutting them from LARGE lintels and chunks of stone. Maybe it helps being a dentist, lots of practice with drills and chisels.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 09:20:04 AM »
Great sight of the Calochortus Ian !
They look just as I saw them some years ago in their natural habitat of dried up grasses in the US ! (except for the red labels of course  ;D)
Thanks for another great log !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal