We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: What meconopsis?  (Read 2517 times)

tetsuo

What meconopsis?
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:57:35 AM »
Hello, this is first time here.
I have grown Meconopsis from wild collection seeds at Sichuan  in China. They flowered last year in my garden at Sapporo. Both species were scaposal and monocarpic. It is a pity that I could not get seeds of them.  They seemed to be horridular group. I would like to know the name of them. I attach 2 photoes.
Tetsuo Nakazato, Sapporo, JAPAN

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: What meconopsis?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 12:05:51 PM »
Tetsuo, a very warm welcome to you.
So many of us share in your pleasure at growing such plants from the wild; it is a good that you are sharing these photos with us.
It will be good to see more of the plants you like to grow in Sapporo !  8)

I know there are Forumists with deep knowledge of Meconopsis who will give their opinions about  these plants.

The size, in pixels, of your photos is rather larger than the Forum normal size ( say 760 x570pixels) but I have not resized them because it mat be helpful in identifying the  species to be able to see more clearly the structure of the plants.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 01:10:55 PM »
Hi, thanks for showing pictures and please can we have some more info on elevation for where plants were how high were the plants and where were the pictures taken. A lot of questions but if possible please let me have something. I post here a picture of Meconopsis racemosa taken in China plants were very mixed colour and height at 20 cm to 40cm high and as you can see flowers very different,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Tetsuo. Can you also tell us something about your climate. Obviously Meconopsis like it. :)

My goodness, those spines look fearsome in close-up!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

tetsuo

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 11:30:11 AM »
Hello again, thank a lot for replies, Maggie, Ian, Lesley.
I will care about size of the photo and I will present more photos of plants in Sapporo.
Seeds were collected at 4200-4500m high at Sichuan by a plant hunter. I sowed many seeds but only 2 plants flowered in the third year. Both plants were about 15-20cm high in my garden.
Sapporo is located in the north of Japan, so it is not so hot in summer. We have 8-10 days over 30 degrees in August . It is very difficult to grow meconopsis in south of Japan except mountain areas. In Sapporo ,fortunately we can grow Meconopsis. I would like to challenge more meconopsis.
Tetsuo Nakazato, Sapporo, JAPAN

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 05:00:55 PM »
 Hi, we look forward to seeing more pictures,we visited Sichuan in China where we saw lots of Meconopsis and I forgot to say that M. horridula and M. prattii also grow in many areas. We saw a few M. lancefolia quite varible as we would expect. I would be happy to send you some seed collected in my garden M. grandis and M napalensis. M. punicea maybe some others send your postal address if you want to try,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 08:48:58 PM »
Tetsuo, I really like the way you put that last sentence - "I would like to challenge more Meconopsis." I certainly find this family very challenging in a hot, dry garden, but maybe I can put the burden on THEM. "I challenge you to grow for me" and hope they will take it up and perform well, rather than dying shrivelled and shameful. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal