We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Iris rosenbachiana variability  (Read 3627 times)

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
Iris rosenbachiana variability
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:35:50 PM »
Here are a couple from today, the first two being plants sold to me (quite a few years ago) as I. baldschuanica and I. nicolai. I've read since that these two are synonymous but both now sunk into I. rosenbachiana in any case, though I must say they don't look particularly similar to me.

Also an Iris narbutii and I. stenophylla ssp. alisonii.

Alex

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Iris rosenbachiana variability
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:24:39 PM »
Very nice Alex. What's in the mix and how do you treat them throughout the year
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:46:06 PM »
Hi Mark,

Nothing unusual in the compost, half topsoil, half grit/sand up to the basal plate and then the rest of the bulb is covered with grit/sand only. Moist (or very moist!) from November to whenever the leaves yellow, totally dry the rest of the time.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 07:50:02 PM »
For me, the challenge with these is making sure they don't get Botrytis on the green growth, which means being particularly careful about removing flower remnants, prophylactic sprays with fungicide and they STILL sometimes get it. Ventilation in my greenhouse is as good as it can be, but it's difficult to fight the cold, damp atmosphere that prevails in this country.

Alex

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 08:02:48 PM »
Alex, the Kew Checklist shows Iris baldschuanica and I. nicolai both as accepted names.

From what I can see your plant of I. baldschuanica conforms to the description Brian Mathew gives in "The Iris" of the original plant collected by Paul Furse in 1968.

Lovely show. 
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »
Very desirable, whatever you call them. And thanks for the cultivation tips. This is more or less what I am doing with my easier junos.
Do I understand that these are in flower now? Mine are only just starting to grow.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 08:51:48 PM »
Hi David(s),

I didn't realise those names still stand, but the checklist does indeed confirm it - good to know I don't have to change the labels.

David S., they are indeed in flower now. When you say your easier Junos are treated this way, does this imply you grow some of the trickier ones another way?

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:29:10 PM »
Alex, I am moving up the ladder very slowly. The trickier ones came from the seed exchange a couple of weeks ago :)
I do desire the Juno's but I am a long way from being confident about them. The highlight of my year, so far, is to note that such as aucheri and vicaria are alive and sprouting! My intention is to move on, but slowly - I have put far too much money into the compost bin in the past :'(
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Hristo

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 06:49:02 AM »
Alex, fighting those damp conditions and winning by all counts I'd say! Your junos have great form.
The I. stenophylla ssp. alisonii. is a stunner!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
Here are a couple from today, the first two being plants sold to me (quite a few years ago) as I. baldschuanica and I. nicolai. I've read since that these two are synonymous but both now sunk into I. rosenbachiana in any case, though I must say they don't look particularly similar to me.

Also an Iris narbutii and I. stenophylla ssp. alisonii.

Alex

The first two both rosenbackiana (nicolai is synonim at present - may be changes will come after Tony Hall's and Arnis Seisums monograph about Junos will come out). Baldschuanica is different. Will put picture later.
Iris narbutii and I. stenophylla ssp. alisonii very difficult with me, I never know - will I have them next spring or not.

Janis
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:49:20 AM by Janis Ruksans »
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 07:51:55 AM »
Alex, the Kew Checklist shows Iris baldschuanica and I. nicolai both as accepted names.

From what I can see your plant of I. baldschuanica conforms to the description Brian Mathew gives in "The Iris" of the original plant collected by Paul Furse in 1968.

Lovely show. 

Kew Checklist shows situation according last publications - are the names publicated correctly is most important.
Janis

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 12:58:48 PM »
There are so meny different forms from same species that I found it very difficult to name them correctly !

I'm also waitng for a good monograph... Do you know when it will be out ??
Alex, another nice and healthy plants; congratulations.
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »
Great looking flowers on well grown plants Alex !!
Great selection !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 05:13:20 PM »
There are so meny different forms from same species that I found it very difficult to name them correctly !

I'm also waitng for a good monograph... Do you know when it will be out ??
Alex, another nice and healthy plants; congratulations.

By last communication with authors - still 3-4 years to wait. Researches on molecular level isn't fast but expensive...
Janis

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal