We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: First Flowering  (Read 7216 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
First Flowering
« on: August 19, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »
Howdy All,

I have finally flowered my first ever Hepatica from seed...... I've been closely watching a bud on some seed from Lesley a few years ago, waiting for the first pink bud to open (it isn't open yet, but it still is easily seen to be deep pink), when I discovered that another pot had snuck in a flower while I wasn't watching.  While this is just a "normal" blue, it's still pretty special as I only have 2 adult Hepaticas that flower, well up until now anyway.  The seed of this came from Mark S.  Thanks Mark!!!!!  ;D  I am very chuffed with it, even if probably very mundane to those of you who grow scads of these.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: First Flowering
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:10:22 PM »
Well done Paul, I have never had any success with Hepatica seed :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:31:59 PM »
I don't think I've yet sown any Hepatica seed that hasn't had at least some germination.  I've lost a few plants at times when a pot has dried out, but the majority in that particular pot just went into early dormancy and came back fine the following spring.  it just slowed them down a season or so.  I have a few different pots of seedlings coming along from the wonderfully generous people here on the SRGC forums.... and as they come into flower it will be so exciting just to find out what the differences in the flowers will be, and excitement for every new colour or shade.  ;D   All great stuff.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 02:54:10 PM »
Congratulations Paul !  I don't think they're that easy to cultivate in your climate !  ???
They're wonderful things aren't they ???
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:04:15 PM »
Well done, Paul, on the arrival of this little treasure!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 11:56:43 PM »
Luc,

It's just keeping them cool that can be a problem, and keeping the water up to them of course.  The seedlings have now survived for 3 years in some cases, so I'm doing something OK.  ;D

I'm a proud parent!  ;D ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 08:52:17 AM »
Congratulations with that first flowering. You've done a good job there  :)
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 08:54:53 AM »
Thanks Magnar.

I discovered another one with a flower opening today as well (but haven't photographed it as yet).... and it is the first non-nobilis that I have flowered..... it is a blue H. americana, also from seed from someone here on the forums.  I'm even MORE chuffed now!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 09:32:15 AM »

I'm a proud parent!  ;D ;D

So you should Paul, so you should !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 10:28:48 PM »
Happy to help you out! How long from you sowed the seeds to the flower? I have some flowers out now with lots of buds swelling
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 10:58:27 PM »
Mark,

Will have to check when they were received and sown.  Written on side of the pot, so easy to access.  Have now had 3 seedlings flower this year....... one from you, one from Diane Whitehead of H. americanum and one of the seedlings from Lesley's deep pink, which was actually a mid pink and not as strong as I expected.  I hope this means there'll be some variability in her seedlings, as that would be great.  I think they were all sown about 2004, but I'd have to check.  haven't been game to repot them until last year (and that was an almost complete loss of them), so they weren't grown to maximum advantage, that is for sure.  Thankfully this year's repotting seems to have gone much better and new leaves are unfurling and all doing well so far.  I expect a lot more flowers next year... a lot more!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 09:38:54 PM »
Nice growing Paul but where are the other two pics?
I am thinking on bringing some normal ones from Sweden (from our garden) to Portugal but have not seen any good shaded spases for them yet. Maybe I should look harder when I see Your result.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal