We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2010  (Read 74269 times)

Ulla Hansson

Re: Hepatica 2010
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2010, 09:01:16 PM »
The seeds of Hepatica maxima is black, it's not on any other Hepatica I have seen.
Ulla
Ulla Hansson 45 kilometers east of Gothenburg

Gunhild Poulsen

• Gunhild and Thorkild Poulsen's Danish Garden
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2010, 09:09:31 PM »
I have seen several black seeds of japonica.
Gunhild

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2010, 09:35:34 PM »
The seeds of Hepatica maxima is black, it's not on any other Hepatica I have seen.    Ulla   

Hepatica maxima seed is much larger than other Hepatica seed and is black one end and white the other.  It also has a different germination pattern and takes two years to germinate. 
I can't find a picture of the seed, so I've made a diagram
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
Here is a pic of my H. maxima seed last year.  The white half doesn't show up very well but they are like mianiature versions of the ying yang beans.

(I don't think they take two years to germinate with me.)
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2010, 08:48:39 AM »
John,
I was very impressed with your range of japonica seedlings. Did you deliberately cross-pollinate specific singles, or are they open pollinated in the greenhouse? Also I wondered whether cross-pollinating japonica with the european nobilis (say the deep cobalt blue form) has been tried.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:47:01 AM by Peter Maguire »
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2010, 09:28:03 AM »
Hepatica maxima seed is much larger than other Hepatica seed and is black one end and white the other.  It also has a different germination pattern and takes two years to germinate. 
I can't find a picture of the seed, so I've made a diagram
(I don't think they take two years to germinate with me.)

With me they don't take two years: I've sown some last year in May and they are germinating now.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2010, 09:38:25 AM »
With me they don't take two years: I've sown some last year in May and they are germinating now. 

All my other hepaticas are sown in May or June and germinate in the spring, but I've never actually grown H maxima from seed, so I was just quoting what John Massey had said about them taking two years to germinate, clearly other people's experiences are different.  It is certainly a very different looking seed

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »
[All my other hepaticas are sown in May or June and germinate in the spring, but I've never actually grown H maxima from seed, so I was just quoting what John Massey had said about them taking two years to germinate, clearly other people's experiences are different.  It is certainly a very different looking seed

Something new to learn every day on this forum, eh Diane. I know I do.
They are very different looking seeds indeed. And the first to germinate with me. All the H. nobilis and H. japonica seeds which I've sown last year are not yet germinating.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2010, 10:01:16 AM »
Diane, forgot to ask. Do you keep the Hepatica's which have just germinated outdoors or do you take them indoors? And if you take them indoors do you place them in the shade or in the sun?
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »
Diane, forgot to ask. Do you keep the Hepatica's which have just germinated outdoors or do you take them indoors? And if you take them indoors do you place them in the shade or in the sun? 

Hi Wim
Very interesting about the H maxima. Do they ripen in the same way as the other species (as the other species are often still green when ready to sow).

My nobilis and japonica (sown last June)  started germinating a couple of weeks ago, and I continue to find newly germinated pots every few days at the moment.  The pots have been outside and uncovered all winter and as they germinate, I bring them under cover but shaded. 

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2010, 12:15:04 PM »
Hi Diane,

I'm not sure about their ripening process, I got them from a friend and they were black/white when I sowed them. There wasn't any green to see.
Thanks for the info.

Wim
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Gunilla

« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2010, 12:41:57 PM »
I also got seed of Hepatica maxima from a friend last year.  It was late August when the seed fell off her plant so they seem to need a longer time to ripen.   I sowed them at once and hope they will germinate this spring. 
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »
Gunhild,

There will always be disagreement in the literature, especially in reading a flora of a particular area because they tend to be slightly outdated in the literature they use and resistant to change. Even the scientific literature is in disagreement. We could be calling these all Anemones of the species nobilis, or would it be A. hepatica, and its varieties.

Hepatica maxima is a good species, completely distinct in morphology and DNA. H. insularis is native to the southern mountains and islands of Korea and is also very unique. Hepatica henryi is in north-central China and apparently separated from H. yamatutai, which is endemic to Emei Shan. They are completely distinct in morphology and easily told apart. Zonneveld (unpubl.-still?) shows that the two are distinct in nuclear DNA content also supported by Mabuchi et al. (2005). Sadly Zonneveld does not support the distinction of keeping H. acutiloba and H. americana separate -- which are clearly distinct in morphology and habitat, though I have seen populations where the two are close together (<100m). He also lumps H. asiatica (from mainland China and Korea) with H. n. japonica, making H. asiatica var. japonica, but I think the two being geographically isolated should be kept separate; H. asiatica and H. japonica (nobilis is European). My experience is that H. asiatica has more pointed lobes than what is typical for the H. japonica types.

Aaron Floden

Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2010, 01:50:54 PM »
A few more from here today.
Hepatica japonica  Anjyu 1
Hepatica japonica  Anjyu 2
Hepatica japonica shokouden 1
Hepatica japonica shokouden 2
Hepatica japonica haruno-awayuki 1
Hepatica japonica haruno-awayuki 2
Hepatica japonica pink
Hepatica nobilis rubra plena
Hepatica nobilis indigo strain
Hepatica Maxima.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »
And one more

A mixed batch on the bench.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal