We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS East Anglia 5th May  (Read 7966 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: AGS East Anglia 5th May
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 01:08:58 AM »
Ahha--Just 'googled' C. discolor .Cultural advice is part sun to light shade so looks like another job ,(transplanting),added to my list for this weekend.

Cheers Dave.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 10:35:24 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 01:57:13 AM »
Dave I too have a couple of good clumps of C. discolor, have had for at least 12 years but never a single stem of flowers. I too, was going to ask what to do about it. So, asking now for help please.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 01:58:15 AM »
Well, mine's been in part sun to light shade, in 2 gardens and in my tunnel in pots as well. Nothing works so far.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2007, 08:38:43 AM »
Thank you for all the comments.

Andrew, thanks for pictures. I wonder, please, if you know any more about Iris acutiloba and Iris paradoxa. If there is another book you could recommend then recommend away (I did do some searching for the 'A Guide to Species:Irises' but the second hand asking prices were amazing-as they were for Brian Mathew's book)

I have The Iris book by Mathew ISBN 0713406232, its the fifth one down on this link:-

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?tn=iris&sortby=3&sts=t&an=mathew&bi=0&bx=off&ds=30

and contains everything I would want to know, all species, descriptions and cultivation.

The BIG question is .... why didn't we get to say hello? I was the greying guy chasing a small child around, well some of the time anyway. I did go home for lunch :P but I had been on-site from 715am and did bring the family back to help out at about 2pm.

The two plants I want to add are Iris paradoxa mirabilis (from Iran) - a fabulous plant which I had not seen before. One of the flowers had faded (and been removed) by 3pm.

Tony, I did not know you were going. Obviously I was not behind the curtain and I left about one o'clock, so they are the reasons !!

Where was the other Iris? I cannot believe I missed that or was it sneaked in later.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 08:09:14 PM »
The Iris everyone is drooling over was shown by Ray Drew from Essex.  A quiet and unassuming chap he grows some really tasty plants and grows them very well!  I am sure he would share seed if he gets any ..... but the waiting list will be a long one ;)

It was on the set of benches nearest the windows, the left side of the left bench as you look to the car park.  Perhaps it was removed for Joint Rock or Photographing ... or perhaps he did not want to let it out of his sight and took it to the judges lunch!

Andrew

• Trainee Croconut
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 05:52:42 PM »
Thank you Tony, it must have been having its picture taken and I do remember seeing a 'Removed for photo' card on the bench, now you have said.
Andrew, North Cambridgeshire, England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal