We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sad news - Gwen Baker  (Read 1348 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Sad news - Gwen Baker
« on: January 13, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »
I am sure there are many members of this forum who would wish to know that Gwen Baker died peacefully on 2 January.  Her funeral will be on Wednesday 27 January, at 11.30 at Bushbury Crematorium, Wolverhampton.

She had lived for the last 18 months in a retirement home after finally giving up the battle to keep looking after her house and garden.  Her garden was an amazing riot of galanthus, crocus tommasinianus, cyclamen, hellebores and hepaticas all seeding around

Gwen was very well known as an expert grower, particularly of primulas.  She co-authored a book with Peter Ward ‘Auriculas : The Definitive Guide to Cultivation and Exhibiting’.  She was particularly famous for breeding auriculas, and one that she bred “Diamond” was the pollen parent of another double bred by Derek Salt which was named after her: “Gwen Baker”

If anyone would like further details of her funeral, please send me a pm.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Sad news - Gwen Baker
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 08:37:24 PM »
A lady I had never met but had the greatest respect for.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Sad news - Gwen Baker
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
I had never met this lady but was aware of her reputation in the plant world.
A sad loss indeed.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal