We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..  (Read 189500 times)

Hristo

Re: "Fat Plants" : cacti,succulents, caudiciforms, whatever..
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2010, 06:23:26 AM »
Diane,
Your Gasteria nitida var armstrongii is a little treasure, a most interesting and 'fluid' like form, thanks for showing!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2010, 06:40:18 PM »
some more..
first a couple of aloe hybrids--i bought these at the same time, and they looked different than one another then and i was given presumed names of A 'black gem' and A 'walmsley's bronze'.. from the pictures i have been able to find (online, so duly taken with a grain of salt..) there isnt that much difference between the two, black gem seems generally to be acknowledged to be an 'Alworthia'(aloe x haworthia) cross, now, though i think that must be true of the other as well, if thats the case...
anyway, one may have more tendencey to offset, though i am not convinced thats diagnostic and not just chance (the one not showing offsets in the photo has a clump of them coming on the other side); superficially, they seem different, but when you look closely, about any character you can come up with is the same; no flowers seen yet..
so, they remain nameless like most garden centre plants, but very nice none the less in about 5" pots; colour comes and goes over the year depending on periods of stronger sun and less water..
another shot of them at a different time of year, when they are green..
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:51:14 PM by cohan »

maggiepie

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2010, 06:49:33 PM »
And closely related Haworthias

Oh these are great, I particularly like Haworthia coarctaca salem.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »
Interesting to hear about the Aloe x Haworthia. Do you know whether all of them interfertile or just a select few?
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2010, 06:58:17 PM »
i don't know whether it applies to all species, but its certainly very common in the family--there are rafts of intergeneric hybrids- 'alworthia' 'gasteraloe' 'gasterworthia' 'gastroloba' etc etc.. i dont know if bulbine and others are hybridised with these (only a few species have forms that would be complementary, but i'd think the yellow flowers would be a draw), but among aloe, haworthia, gasteria, and astroloba, its common..

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2010, 07:10:43 PM »
echeveria is a genus which isnt always so successful indoors-many species need higher light and/or maybe cooler winters, but there are some species which presumably grow under trees/scrub which do well enough..
Echeveria nodulosa
is one such--no doubt it would be more compact under higher light, but it is a naturally stemmed species, and in fact the stem has its own charms, so its worth seeing it bare..i just glanced at it, and the white growths on the stem have turned brown and woody over the offseason, so i need a new pic to update..
you can see from the overhead shot that it still has a nice compact rosette from that view..

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2010, 08:03:06 AM »
The red edge to the succulent leaves is very attractive, Cohan especially in the centrewhorl of the rosette.  What happens to the the white growths on the stem after they turn brown?
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2010, 08:09:38 AM »
The red edge to the succulent leaves is very attractive, Cohan especially in the centrewhorl of the rosette.  What happens to the the white growths on the stem after they turn brown?

its funny, the species name is 'nodulosa' which i would have thought referred to those lumpy stems, but i was unable to find any reference to that trait when i was looking last summer...
robin-the growths sort of dry out and harden, and then it  looks like a bumpy,warty (patterned) almost woody stem.. like a kind of armour..
i'll have to get updated photos..

Hristo

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2010, 10:41:52 AM »
Back in the days of having a greenhouse I used to have a collection of Stapeliads.I had to leave then behind in the UK but collected seed in 2006 before moving. The seed was sowed in June 2009, germinated rapidly, and the pots pictured are the result! I have never grown these from seed before so I am looking forward to seeing if there is any variation in the flowers.

Orbea variegata
Stapelia hirsuta
Stapleia sp. ( probably gigantea )
Stapelia sp ex Little Karoo
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2010, 11:15:46 AM »
I have never grown these from seed before so I am looking forward to seeing if there is any variation in the flowers.

Wonderful pots full of interesting looking potential from seed Hristo - how long do they take from seed to flower?

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2010, 11:20:11 AM »
like a kind of armour..

Cohan it's interesting what cacti plants do to protect themselves - are these random outcrops or does it happen all over the stem?

Hristo

« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2010, 11:24:49 AM »
RR, I should imagine in their third or fourth year from seed.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »
...well they obviously like Bulgaria  ;D

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2010, 06:52:17 PM »
Back in the days of having a greenhouse I used to have a collection of Stapeliads.I had to leave then behind in the UK but collected seed in 2006 before moving. The seed was sowed in June 2009, germinated rapidly, and the pots pictured are the result! I have never grown these from seed before so I am looking forward to seeing if there is any variation in the flowers.

Orbea variegata
Stapelia hirsuta
Stapleia sp. ( probably gigantea )
Stapelia sp ex Little Karoo

they are coming along fast! maybe you will see some flowers this summer..

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2010, 07:07:08 PM »
like a kind of armour..

Cohan it's interesting what cacti plants do to protect themselves - are these random outcrops or does it happen all over the stem?

i havent seen older multistemmed plants of this echeveria to see what it does longterm, but the small plant i have had some of this at the bottom of the stem, then grew a couple inches without, then all the new growth this summer developed this 'cork' (its in a sort of geometric pattern, probably related to where leaf buds/scars are)..maybe depends on amount of water or light, or?? i'm guessing the smooth piece of stem was from the nursery when it was grown fast and soft as a cutting..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal