We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Glasgow SRGC Show 5th May 2007  (Read 4140 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Glasgow SRGC Show 5th May 2007
« on: May 03, 2007, 09:35:47 PM »
Fast approaching is the Glasgow Show. In my experience of glasgow show,the sun shines and Milngavie looks almost as good as the show hall does!
The Show is in the  Milngavie Town Hall, Main Street, Milngavie, Glasgow. 9 miles NW of Glasgow on the A81. the Town Hall is near the town centre, opposite the car park for the Milngavie railway station. Show is on Saturday 5th May and will be open from 12noon to 4pm.
Given the recent weather, I expect that all the plants which usually go to the Aberdeen show later in the month (this year 19th May) should be in prime condition for Glasgow ! Glasgow is fortunate to have a large bright hall with very good natural light so everything looks its best.... this should mean that good photos can be obtained so I hope that someone reading this will be grabbing some pix for us on the Forum....she said , more in hope than expectation, to the lurkers on the side!
Ian and I are not able to go down, but since all our plants are wilting by the minute, that will be little loss to the Show Team of John , Bill and Company!
The Glasgow Show has added attractions, in the form of many classes for cut rhododendrons and narcissus.....there should still be plenty rhodos, though the narcissus may be thin on the ground this year!
I wish everyone a great day out and a happy show ! :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Glasgow SRGC Show 5th May 2007
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 07:58:52 PM »
Some pictures from todays show at Milngavie.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 08:01:40 PM »
Still more
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 04:29:19 AM »
Thank you Tom for some lovely pictures. Super plants there. I think the one I really MUST have, would be the blue Penstemon.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 08:28:45 AM »
Lovely images of lovely plants, many thanks for sharing Tom.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 10:24:35 PM »
I'm told that the Forrest medal was won by Cyril Lafong with the Androsace studiosorum Doksa. Well done to the Glenrothes Greenfinger! The  fat Viola dasyphylla is Cyril's too, I think.

Edit by Maggi September 2010 : It now appears that the violas :V. dasyphylla and  V. columunaris were wrongly named on introduction.........see September 2010 IRG9 ( published online 24th Sept. 2010 for details of a naming mix-up with these species

Anthony Darby's Cypripedium 'Emil' was in the orchid class of Section I where it won first, Cyril's yellow Dac  (Dactylorhiza sambucina??)came second;  Anthony's Cypripedium ventricosum was in Section II where it won a Certificate of Merit and got best orchidaceae in show, winning the Charles M Simpson Memorial Trophy. This is not the prettiest of trophies, it must be said, but Anthony has done very well to win it, and from a plant in /Section II.... Anthony is quite a newcomer to exhibiting, though his plants suggest he could have got started earlier... hope you will pick up steam from now on, Anthony, congratulations on your Milngavie success!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 12:36:54 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 11:06:34 PM »
Thanks Maggi. There's some famous names on that trophy. You've had to polish it once or twice! Vivienne was so impressed that she put it back in its box. Rock gardening can be a lonely hobby at times. :(
I wish I'd sorted out the Iris cycloglossa!? The plant that won the Iris class was a single flowering plant with the same name, but I was told could have been a hybrid? Once I get the hange of it, I'll try some more. I see that Cyril and Fred are now tied on 25 Forest medals a piece 8)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal