We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Glasgow Show: Milngavie 1st May 2010  (Read 11369 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Glasgow Show: Milngavie 1st May 2010
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 09:32:03 AM »
Bob Edge and Rodger Smyth, Glasgow Group members
Ian Christie and David Rankin
Graeme Butler and Ian the Christie Kind- Ian not only had time to take pictures, he had time to be IN them as well!  :)

Jim Jermyn and Jim Sutherland, Neil Huntly in the background

These two  were described  as Richard as "the two mugs" .... Sam Sutherland and Richard Barr

Iris Sari and "5 petal shrub"! The Iris was grown by Show Secreatary John Lee,  I think.  The BD says John and his Team held a great show,  as ever  :) 8)

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 09:38:53 AM »
on the home run now.......

Sandy Leven, Jim Jermyn ( who had brought Dieter Schacht along to see the show) with SRGC President Liz Mills

The Primula ellisae which won the Joan Stead Award for the best Primula in the Show
Primula ellisae , best primula from Carole and Ian Bainbridge
Alan Gardner and Bob Meaden entering the "sychronised stoop and peer class"- very successfully, it must be said ;D
Ian  the Christie Kind gets into another photo  ;D... this time with Anthony Darby

Just to show the fab catering at the show.... these yummy cakes  8) How could I have missed this event?  :'(

arisaema

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 09:38:56 AM »
It is a gorgeous lily, isn't it, Bjørnar? I'm told it went yup to Joint Rock committee and was given a Preliminary Comendation. It's being called a form of L. mackliniae.... but some have doubts!

Stunning is an understatement! Thanks for posting these pics, a fantastic way to start the day! :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 09:48:36 AM »
The Forrest Medal was won by a very large Androsace vandelii and Cypripedium 'Ursel' won the best Orchid  both  grown by Cyril the Glenrothes Greenfinger!

Ian is nothing like so greedy as I am, but even he was moved to say that the layout of homemade goodies could rival the best patisserie... and they were as delicious as they were attractive and seeing Tom's pic of the cake display I would have to agree.... well done Glasgow for such a great range of "eats" !!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 10:03:41 AM by Maggi Young »

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2010, 10:25:26 AM »
A big vote of thanks to Maggie for her Herculean task of sorting and posting the pictures.  Maggie, you must have been cross-eyed  by bed time.  Taking them is the easy part....no offence Ian!  When I was working on the few I took, my copy of Windows7 took the huff and informed me that I had an unlicensed copy and blanked out my screen so I could do nothing until I found my disk and registered it.  By which time, I could not remember what I had attempted to post hence the number of edits I performed. It was a relief to know that a proper account of the show would appear.  As to the cakes, very few of the ones on the tier had been consumed when we left.  The display looked so good that people felt it was wrong to eat a work of art!
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »
Great job everyone!  What a wonderful show.  And those cakes looked mouthwateringly good.....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 08:09:13 PM »
You forgot to take of photos of the mouth-watering meringues - and they tasted as good as they looked.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 08:26:27 PM »
I missed the scones. Some little piggies had scoffed them all. ::)
Here is Ian Christie's Cypripedium, the name of which I have forgotten and another pic of the white one, which was Cypripedium 'Sabine Pastel' and Narcissus 'Bantam'.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 08:36:50 PM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »
You forgot to take of photos of the mouth-watering meringues - and they tasted as good as they looked.

Never underestimate the Rockers:  you want meringues...  then here they are from Tom's photo, alongside the fruit flans which Ian said were just delicious!
217636-0

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2010, 08:41:08 PM »
I missed the scones. Some little piggies had scoffed them all. ::)

Ian denies any guilt on that score.... says he was too busy with the fruit flans... which he says were more like cheescake and fruit, really ... he also reports that those ultra fancy cup cakes not onlu had great decoration but also had jam inside them!!

Good grief... how that man likes to make me suffer.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 02:09:33 AM »
My God! What wonders have been performed by all, whether growers, exhibitors, judges, bakers and eaters. And with two other shows on the same day, how can one possibly take in everything? Very grateful thanks to everyone and especially those who took the photographs for the benefit of those of us who are terminally deprived.

Although the alpines were, as always, exceptional, I have to say a word in favour of the little Acer, a delightful little tree, very much at home among the shortias and anemonellas.

May I dare suggest that Primula `Wanda' was in fact ". juliae?
Edit by Maggi.... most certainly..... I was on auto-pilot by that time of night when I named the files!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:39:02 AM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 08:49:18 AM »
Did anyone else notice the two ladies wandering up the tables admiring every exhibit, but touching each flower to point out its finer points to each other?  I was talking to Anne Chambers when they approached us, and Anne moved a "Do not touch the plants" notice towards them which was igniored.  When I asked them, very gently, not to touch the exhibits they turned their backs, and walked off in a huff.  Hope they were not anyone's aunties?
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 09:31:43 AM »
Forget the plants.  The real star of the show was the food.  As to the meringues, they came in two sizes.  We bagged the large ones!  For me the best items were the homity pies, of which I had two.
However, I only had one large meringue.  The secret is to get in to the dining area before the show starts and have the pick of the menu.

I think there must be some symbiotic relation between meringues and plants.  The best meringues I have seen were in the restaurant at Benmore gardens.  They were six inches in diameter. The problem was whether to eat one before walking round the gardens or wait until later and take the risk they had all gone!
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 09:51:10 AM »
Another great report of an excellent show !
Thanks Maggi and Tom : wonderful pictures, and glad to see that not only the plants were first class !  8)

So much looking forward to visiting the Aberdeen show on May 15th !!  :D :D
(maybe this last sentence should have been in the "I'm so happy" thread"  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal